Be careful what you wish for

The saying "be careful what you wish for" applies well to 'The Necklace'- short story, because Mathilde wished to be wealthy, being reckless about it. She ended up with despair. This will be discussed in this essay. 

Mathilde believed herself to be a lady of distinction, of grace and a person of wealth; she seemed as though she were all of these things towards the people who did not know her. In reality, though, all which she believed to be true, were not. 

Although she was a middle-class lady (and not classified as poor), she had still desired the things that were not necessary in life to actually make you happy. She only longed  that which she could show off to create status for herself, and so what she already had she was ungrateful for. Dissatisfied by every reason to have been thankful for and she envied other women whom already owned what Mathilde wanted- and this lead to her downfall. 

Mathilde underestimates the cost which other women had paid to gain material success- long enduring work hours and sacrifices they made. Mathilde believed they only married into wealth. In the end she realized what price she herself had to pay to be thankful for what she had.

Thus one can learn to be content with what you have before losing everything you once owned.