Chapter 13

I'd take another chance, take a fall, take a shot for you, oh, oh
I need you like a heart needs a beat, but it's nothing new

Song: Apologize, by One Republic

***

Aster's P.O.V.:

Spending the night watching over someone who's asleep is as boring as it sounds.

I don't know how stalkers do it. Honestly, I was about to fall asleep about a hundred times, jet lag still charging a great deal out of my body; I was so tired.

Between everything that happened in the 24-hours time span after getting back to New York, I was almost starting to think something is fundamentally wrong with this city. Like it's cursed, it feels like I'm supposed to suffer every time I'm around. I mean, things weren't easy when I was back in Fiji, but at least, they made sense.

I can see no sense in what happened last night.

My mind is having such a hard time wrapping everything, and honestly, I don't even know what's the most difficult bit of it; is it the fact Harry screwed Penny, or that he thought it would be OK to invite her to live in his apartment without checking with me first?

Honestly, I was so humiliated, watching her walk around the house as if she owns it, with my baby brother in a tow, as if there has never been the possibility of my boyfriend being the father.

No, no, let me correct myself - as if there has never been the possibility of my boyfriend not being the father.

And the bitch even bad-mouthed me to him! She called me selfish, putting her hands on my Curly and acting like she was an angel sent by heavens to save Harry from the horrible girlfriend he has.

I don't think angels are supposed to cheat and lie, Penelope.

And to think I was starting to feel empathy for her! I should've trusted my instinct, my gut; ever since I was 15, I knew she was just a taker, a gold-digger who spares no expense to have what she wants.

I was so angry at Harry, I honestly wanted to just grab my bags and go back to Fiji, but I'm not ready to be defeated, not like this, not by Penny. Harry and I haven't gone through everything we did to lose each other like this, I love him too much to let him go under such ridiculous circumstances.

However, that doesn't mean I'm ready to forgive him yet.

In all honesty, I'm still so fucking outraged. The only reason why I stood vigil all night, was because I didn't want Harry to choke in his own puke and die in his sleep. If Abel or Rickie were around, I would've definitely asked one of them to do it for me.

As the sunrises on the horizon, Tate starts barking, running downstairs happily, and for a moment the blood freezes in my veins, the crazy thought that Penelope might've been back haunting my rushing mind. However, a couple of minutes later, Anne is poking her head inside Harry's room, her mouth falling slack open the moment she sees the mess, broken glass on the floor, destroyed furniture, upside-down chairs and me, sitting on an armchair and watching over her passed out son.

"W-What happened?" She whispers, entering the room with her eyes glued to Harry's peaceful expression.

I shake my head. "We had a fight. He did this while I was away... When I came back, he was drunk as a lord and I didn't want him to puke all over himself and choke in his sleep, so here I am." I keep my voice low, sparing no detail, part of me feeling good to be ratting on Harry to his mother, as childish as it might sound.