Ch. 24

I kept Sadie held close to my chest while we both sat in my bed in silence. Squid had left with Jackie a few minutes ago to walk her back to her dorm and now it was just the two of us. It was still cold in our room but being cuddled up with Sadie was making it bearable. 

"Do you want to talk about it at all?" I quietly asked, rubbing Sadie's shoulders gently and not loosening my grip on her. Her body was still as stiff as ever. 

She didn't answer me, instead burying her head into my chest even more. I hate seeing her like this. Loathed it in fact. 

"If you don't want to tell me about it, that's fine too. I just have a few things to say though," I took a deep breath, trying not to let my voice shake at all. Why did talking about feelings have to be so difficult? 

"I don't think of you any differently, Sadie, or see you in a different light. Okay? I want you to believe that. If anything, it makes me want to get closer to you and understand you better," 

Sadie was still stiff, clutching onto my shirt with shaking fists. I could tell she was trying not to cry again, even in the dark I could still see her swollen, red eyes. 

"My whole school . . . they all saw it, Kent. They all saw the picture. . . I didn't even take. . . the damn picture. It was my boyfriend. . .at the time," Sadie's voice was trembling as she explained and instinctively I pulled her tighter into my chest which was hardly possible at this point. I just wanted to make her feel better. 

"What happened to you wasn't fair, it wasn't okay at all," I was feeling anger now, knowing that someone Sadie had trusted had betrayed her like this, no wonder she has trust issues, "It doesn't make you any less of a person and it definitely doesn't change my feelings for you, okay? I'm sorry you had to go through all of that, but I'll always be here for you and you'll never go through that again. I got the phone in time, no one is going to see that picture. I promise," 

She didn't say anything after that but she didn't have to. I felt her body relax into mine and within a few minutes her breathing was heavier and she was finally sleeping. I continued to hold onto her as tight as I could, rubbing her back gently and keeping my lips pressed against the top of her head. 

There was no denying it anymore. I wanted to protect Sadie and show her how much she meant to me. I liked her and wanted her by my side at all times. 

===

"You look nervous," Charlie commented, watching me closely while I finished up my tie. I'm thankful my dad taught me when I was younger. The dance was going to start soon and I had anxiously been looking forward to it all week. 

"I'm excited to see Sadie," I watched Charlie closely but he didn't seem to react when I mentioned Sadie. Maybe he was over that whole situation. Or maybe he was really good at hiding it. 

"I'm sure she feels the same," Without another word Charlie walked out of my room and into his across the way, probably to finish getting ready himself. I took one more look in the mirror hanging above Sadie's dresser, put on one spray of cologne and walked down to the elevator. 

Squid and Dylan were waiting for me already, both looking sharp in their suits. Squid wore a grey suit that was just a tad too big, he'd definitely grow into it soon though, and Dylan wore a crisp black suit with a black button up. Although I could tell they were just as excited as I was, we all kept our cool on the walk over, making small talk. I was holding Sadie's corsage in my hand delicately, nervous I would somehow crush it before she was able to see it. 

"The girls should be coming out right now," Dylan nodded towards the girls' dorm doors that swung open at the perfect time, the girls hurrying out to meet us. Jackie lead the way, then Josie and then Holly. Sadie was nowhere to be seen.