Ch. 6

The constant pen tapping against Sadie's desk was about to make me lose my mind. She had been sitting there for a while, tapping her pen and muttering to herself in frustration. 

I was reading one of the books my English teacher assigned, glancing over at my roommate from where I was lounging on my bed. 

"You look like you need some help," I finally said, setting my book down and making eye contact with an upset Sadie. She had dropped her dumb pen, thankfully, and was twisted around in her chair to glare at me. Her glares only made me smile now. 

"As if you're going to help me," Sadie snorted, like a guy, and I couldn't help but laugh at her. She got so flustered when she was upset. Kind of cute...

I set my book down on the nightstand and walked up behind Sadie too look over her shoulder. "Global warming? Your teacher must be an interesting fella,"

With that being said I turned back and flopped down in my previous spot. "That sucks,"

I hadn't taken economics yet, that was next semester.

"Words of wisdom," Sadie replied and let out a long, depressing sigh. My phone lit up on the nightstand and I reached for it, it was Charlie letting me know the game was definitely on. 

"Have you ever heard of taking a break? Some of the guys are going down to play some football in the front yard, you should come," I flashed Sadie a quick smile before sitting back up and rubbing my hands together excitedly. I doubt she'd agree, but I made sure to leave out the tackle part. She'd definitely say no if she knew that. 

"I guess a break won't hurt," Sadie stood up at the same time I did and I'm sure shock was all over my face.

"Whatever the Princess wants," I teased and Sadie stuck out her tongue at me, catching me off guard. She'd never done that before and the simple childish act made me smile for some reason. "Real mature,"

I grabbed one of my sweatshirts from the pile on top of my dresser and lead the way out of our room and to the stairs. 

Once we got to the yard in front of the dorm, the large group of rowdy boys hardly noticed I had brought a new addition to play tonight. 

"How'd you get Sadie to come down here?" Charlie asked, jogging up to the two of us and patting me on the back like always. 

"She needed a break from school work," I explained and walked away from the two to talk to a few of the boys. 

"You know she's going to get crushed right?" Chunk asked me, snickering and glancing over where Sadie was standing, still talking with Charlie. 

"She'll be fine, I think she'd tougher than she lets us believe," Charlie had just finished explaining to Sadie that this wasn't a typical touch-football game and I saw the panic on her face immediately. 

"I've got a paper to finish, so I'm out of here!" Sadie called out, turning to push past Charlie but I took two steps towards her and successfully grabbed her before she could take off. 

"You're not scared of a little mud are you, sweetheart?" I asked, smiling down at her and laughing when she acted like she was about to hit me. I bet she would've too if I wasn't holding her arms.

"It'll be fun Sadie," Chunk tried to encourage Sadie but she turned her cold glare on him and he stopped talking. 

"Alright, let's get the teams sorted," Jayden yelled impatiently and we all huddled around, Sadie in front of me and Charlie so she couldn't make a run for it. 

When it was all said and done I had Sadie, Squid, Jayden, Jace, Jon and Avery on my team. Squid was the only freshman but he was also our best running back, he had even made it on varsity this season.