Ch. 16

The silence between us as we walked back to the dorm was killing me slowly. Suddenly I couldn't remember how to form a proper sentence and the crisp fall air outside made me shove my hands in my pockets instead of hold Sadie's hand like I wanted to. 

"The homecoming dance this year is supposed to be a masquerade," I finally blurted out. Random. 

"Oh, I hadn't heard that," She replied, sounding just as awkward as I felt. Why'd I have to bring up the dance already? I was thinking about asking Sadie to go with me if she didn't have anything else to do but this definitely wasn't how I wanted to bring it up. 

"I thought it was a lame idea but the rest of the board didn't," I rambled on, trying to recover. 

"The board?" Sadie looked up at me in confusion. Of course she didn't know what I was talking about, she was a new student here afterall. 

"I'm on the school board, Vice President actually," I felt proud for  a moment, grinning down at Sadie until I remembered my former title of President last year that I had given up. "Charlie's our President this year, he wanted it so bad last year so I agreed to be VP instead," 

"That was really nice of you to do," Sadie whispered, turning her gaze back to the sidewalk in front of us that we were following. This walk was taking longer than I remembered. 

"Yeah but now I regret it, the idiot was the one who brought up the masquerade idea," I couldn't help but roll my eyes. I had tried talking Charlie out of this idea for at least two weeks but eventually he had won everyone else over, like always. 

"Why is that so bad?" I took a deep breath and stopped walking. I didn't like to talk bad about my best friend but telling the truth wasn't always talking bad about someone either. 

"It's not that the masquerade is a bad idea, it's the fact that I had told Charlie about this months ago and when he presented it to everyone else he only mentioned himself," I tried not to make a big deal out of it, I really did but the whole situation wasn't sitting right with me. 

"I'm sorry Kent," Sadie replied, looking up at me with her beautiful eyes. She had a way of making my heart beat faster than I was used to, even after a game. 

I decided not to say anything else, I didn't need to talk down about my best friend anymore, so instead I reached out and took Sadie's hand in mine. Our fingers laced together as I lead the way back to our dorm in comfortable silence. 

"Sadie," We were right at the stairs to the dorm entrance, "look, if you don't have any plans already I was hoping-"

Of course, right at the exact wrong time, my phone began ringing. I was going to ignore it, I really was, but I felt like it was an important call. When I checked my phone I saw that my mom had texted me three times already and was calling for the fourth time. 

"It's my mom, uh. . . I've gotta take this. I'll see you in the room," Rushing off probably wasn't the best way to end things but I also didn't need Sadie overhearing anything my mom was about to yell at me for. 

"Three grand! What the hell did you spend three grand on Kent?" My mom screamed from the other end of the phone. I rushed even faster away from Sadie, praying she hadn't heard anything. 

"Mom, I can explain really," My mom was still rambling, stumbling over her words in anger like she always did. 

"What on earth is going on? What could you possibly need three thousand dollars for?" 

Three grand. What the fuck Missy? 

"I'm waiting," My mom growled again when I remained silent. What was I supposed to say? My mind was racing, trying to figure out a way to lie about this situation without her getting suspicious and calling my bluff. 

"I. . . well. . . I accidentally. . . rear ended someone," 

"You. . . what?!" My mom's voice pierced through my ears and I had to hold the phone away from my ear. 

"It was a total accident, I wasn't paying attention and . . . the guy in front of me, uh, slammed on his brakes,"

"Were you drinking?" It stung a little bit when that was the first question out of my mom's mouth. Sure I had stolen alcohol from my parents in the past and done stupid things but I had never gotten behind the wheel of a vehicle while intoxicated and she knew this. 

"No mom! It was raining and my car slid, it was a complete accident," 

"So you paid him three grand?!" My head was pounding now from all the screaming my mom was continuing to do. 

"It was either that or let insurance take care of it and I knew going through insurance would have cost even more in the long run," I made a mental note to track Missy down and figure out why three grand had been withdrawn. 

"This conversation is not over, not even close. Just wait until your father hears about this," The phone beeped, letting me know she had hung up the phone. 

Instead of heading back to the dorm I began walking towards the girls dorm where I knew Missy would be. As if tonight hadn't gone bad enough with her, now I needed to confront her about this massive chunk of money that was missing from my account. 

Part of me began to wonder if she was even pregnant in the first place or was she just trying to get money to go on another shopping spree. It wouldn't be the first time she had manipulated a situation in her favor. 

As I got closer to the dorm I saw a dark figure emerge from the back door that I usually snuck into and a petite girl standing by the stairs, watching him leave. It took me exactly two seconds to realize that Missy was standing there, watching the guy walk away. 

I stood by a watched from a distance, the blood draining from my face as I watched Mr. Finn turn around and blow Missy a farewell kiss before disappearing into the night.