Ch. 18

Charlie threw his smelly bag down on the seat behind me on the bus and flopped down in the empty spot next to me with a loud sigh. He seemed irritated even though we had just won the game. 

My phone was about to die but I had two messages from my mom asking about the game and one from Missy, criticizing me for how I had acted during the game. I ignored the messages and shoved my phone into my own bag behind us. The whole team was hyped up after the easy win, cheering and teasing one another as the bus drove away towards our school. 

"Seems like you had a great night," Charlie mumbled from beside me, he had pulled his hood up and was getting ready to plug in his headphones. 

"We all had a great night, what are you so pissed about?" I reached over and yanked his headphones out of his hands before he could plug them in and ignore me. 

"I was talking about you showing off for Sadie constantly," Charlie snapped, glaring over at me. A few of the other guys had tuned into the conversation from around us but I couldn't be bothered by it. Not only had I made multiple touchdowns tonight but Sadie was also there to witness them all and I was on cloud nine for that. 

"What's your deal? I'm sure any of the other girls would drool over you too if you wanted," I pulled my own hoodie up over my head now and rolled my eyes. If he was jealous because he hadn't made one touchdown this game then he'd just have to work harder next time, but something tells me that's not why he was upset. 

"Funny how you never did that for Missy last year," He mumbled and suddenly my anger began to flare. What was his issue right now?

"Yeah, that should say a lot about my feelings towards Sadie then, huh?" I fired back and turned in my seat to face Charlie, "What the hell is up your ass right now dude?" 

"I just think it was extremely immature for you to rub it in Missy's face tonight, I know you saw her in the stands too," Why did Charlie care so much about Missy's feelings right now? Sure they'd been friends for a long time but if anyone knew the amount of emotional trauma Missy had put me through it was Charlie. 

"What makes you think Missy's feelings are my responsibility?" I relaxed back into the hard bus seat and now Charlie turned to glare at me again. 

"Considering you were in love with Missy just six months ago, I thought you were better than this," Charlie's words stung. He knew how serious I had been while I was with Missy, I wouldn't deny how strong my feelings had been for her but that was before everything. Before the cheating, the lying, the sneaking around. 

"And then she cheated on me. Multiple times. And you knew about it and didn't say shit Charlie," I turned back to face him, our expressions mirroring each others. "A lot can change in six months, a lot," 

Charlie kept his cold glare on me before Squid was suddenly leaning over the seat in front of us to break up the tension. 

"You ask Sadie to the dance yet then?" Squid asked, acting as if he hadn't just heard the whole conversation between Charlie and I. 

"Not yet, but I will," I replied, not taking my eyes off of Charlie. Charlie smirked, shook his head slightly and then got up to move seats and sit with Sid a few rows up. 

"What was that all about?" Dylan asked, sliding into the seat Charlie had just given up. Chunk, Jayden, Jace and Squid all tuned in to listen now as well. 

"I have no idea, something's bothering him," I replied with a shrug. 

"Obviously he likes Sadie dude," Jayden muttered, glancing over at Charlie who was in deep conversation with Sid at this point.