chapter xx.

Madness and greatness are two sides of the same coin

Madness and greatness are two sides of the same coin. Every time a new Targaryen is born, the gods flip a coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land.

The words had been dancing around in her head ever since she found she was with child, secretly and wrongfully hoping that she would never be faced with this problem.
maybe the babe would not live. maybe they had asked the gods for too much.
Why did her mother and father have and imp for a child when they were only cousins. Why did their mother die in childbirth yet neither Cersei nor Taliya had any problems. Then it came to the madness. Joffrey was the only mad one. Marcel was good, Jayse, Marcella and Tommen were all good so what did that mean for this babe.
They had already beaten the odds too many times.

There was a light knock to the door.
"Come in," she sung as she sat by the window with her hands wrapped around her bump, "My Lord," she smiled moving to get up as her nephew, the King, entered her chambers,
"please, it's fine," Tommen smiled as he walked across the room to where she was and sat down in the chair across from her, "how are you?"
"as well as i can," she spoke with a small smile, "the grand maester has me on rest for the sake of the babe,"
"for how long?"
"till she's born,"
"and when is that?" the young boy asked,
"today, tomorrow, a week from now," she shrugged, "have you been to visit your mother?"
"Margaery, said-"
"she's your mother," she corrected him, "you don't have to forgive her, but she is your mother and i know she misses you,"
"i know she does," he said looking to his feet,
"then go see her, Tommen," Taliya said reaching out to place her hand upon his, "you'll forgive her for whatever she's accused of, she's your mother." He nodded as Taliya smiled in reply. "Now, how about we-" she paused, "Tommen, i need to call the grand maester, if you wouldn't mind," she said gritting her teeth as she began to stand.
The young boy smiled at her.
"I am going to have a little cousin," he spoke softly before nodding his head and calling for the Grand Maester as he left. He was a good child. Too pure and innocent for the world and perhaps he would have made a good King if it were a different time or place. But it was not.

Taliya was hurried off to one of the chambers by a whole handful of maids and midwifes followed by the Grand Maester and whoever else that came. But there was one person she needed and he was not here.

It was not long until the screams came. the tears. the screams. the pain and the pushing. for hours what felt like days. then the feint crying of a babe filled the room and that's when the relief came.
But there was only relief.