Expelled

"Expelled?!" Clay's mother screams over the phone. "There must be some confusion here my son would never-"

She paces back and forth in the kitchen and Clay sits at the counter with his head in his arms. Clay's father is standing there with his arms crossed.

"He did what?!" Her eyes grow wide and she whips her head over to Clay. "No, sir, I- I understand. We are coming in right now to discuss other possible options." She hangs up the phone.

"Can I come?" Clay lifts his head up.

"You are not allowed on the school's property." His mother snaps. "Clay, if what I just heard on the phone is true... straight to boarding school."

"What?" Clay's voice is sharp.

"Straight to boarding school." She points a finger at Clay.

Her and Clay's dad walk out the door. "Jesus christ I'm going to have to call Nick's mother about this." She mumbles as she opens the door.

Right as she's about to close the door she pops it right back open. "You better not be expelled." She looks Clay dead in the eyes and Clay can't do anything other than gulp.

***

Clay and Nick were expelled.

They had their handful of suspensions and quite the track record overall. Steve was not joking, it was the final straw. Well- smashing the school's very expensive greenhouse was the last straw.

The mothers were more concerned than ever about their sons, they have been reckless delinquents from a very young age. So it was settled. The old "we're going to send you to boarding school" threat had finally turned into reality.

"Westwood Grove Academy?" Clay and Nick say in unison, both families seated around Clay's dinner table.

"It is the top boarding school in the UK." Clay's mom states.

"The UK!?" Clay and Nick don't skip a beat.

"Yes, Oxford, England." Nick's mother nods. "Nick, you know your father went there growing up and it was the highlight of his school years. Maybe this will be a way for you to be closer to him."

Nick's dad died when Nick was 5.

This makes him grow quiet.

"What about the private school in 20 minutes away?! Why do I have to go to England?" Clay crumples up the academy pamphlet, throwing it aside.

"Honey, you need change. You need a boarding school." Clay's mother starts to tear up. "It's going to be hard not seeing you everyday, but you are not the son I raised you to be. You need more discipline in your life."

"Mom, I-"

"This is not up for discussion."

"It's just for the school year." Clay's dad chimes in. "Junior year just started for you guys, so it won't be too hard for you to catch up."

"You two are strong. And you'll be together." Nick's mom smiles sweetly.

"Maybe this is for the best." Nick taps the table in defeat. He looks over to Clay and they make eye contact.

Clay knows deep down there is no way he is getting out of this, but in his mind- no school is going to change him. No fucking teacher has ever changed him in any way. Why would a school in England be any different? He knows he won't last a month before they are sending him packing to go back home. And with all this in mind, it's the only reason he says:

"So, when do we leave?"