Get Ready with Me

Jenna knocks on the dorm door.

"Come on in!"

She opens it and Vanessa is finishing her makeup and George is sat lazily on her futon, one foot bent along the coffee table. He scrolls through his phone.

"Hey guys!" Jenna greets.

"Hey girl!"

"Hi Jenna."

"Wow, you both clean up nicely." Jenna chuckles, rubbing an arm.

Vanessa's wearing a deep satin purple tank top that stands out against her tan skin, the V neckline is plunged and embroidered, paired with black mom jeans that hug her hips. She wears a golden necklace that compliments her collar bones with matching mini hoop earrings. Her hair is plopped up in a curly bun, tendrils and curls fall by her ears.

George is wearing a blue button down untucked and the sleeves are rolled up to his elbows, the first two buttons unbuttoned. He has dark jeans on with clean white sneakers. His hair has product in it, but it's not completely slicked to the side. It's still floppy and pushed back a bit, little strands falling past his eyebrows.

"Thank you! It took a while to convince George to let me do his hair and pick his outfit but I think he turned out pretty nice." Vanessa chuckles while still looking in the mirror, earning a scoff from George. She caps her mascara and turns to look at Jenna, scanning her outfit. "Oh! You look- um-"

"What?" Jenna looks down at her outfit. An oversized pale pink long sleeve blouse that has a bejeweled neckline with white baggy leggings. Her hair is pushed back with a thick brown headband. "I thought we weren't supposed to wear uniforms to a party?"

"No- yeah. It's just that- well- uh-"

"You look like my 55 year old Aunt." George joins in blandly.

"Wait- what?" Jenna's eyes go wide.

Vanessa shoots George a look.

"Of course you look cute in everything." Vanessa stands up. "But Jenna, that outfit screams 'old lady at church'. When we need it to scream 'youthful party girl'." She explains.

Jenna looks between George- who's been holding back laughter- and Vanessa. "Well, what am I supposed to do! It's not like I have anything better."

Vanessa nods her head calmly. "Hey it's okay, I have plenty of options." She puts a hand on Jenna's back. "Right this way."

They both walk to her closet.

Vanessa scans the clothes, biting down on her thumbnail with thought. Her eyes finally light up. "I got it."

***

"Guys?" Jenna says from inside the bathroom.

"Yeah?" Vanessa hollers back, seated on the couch next to George.

"I dunno if I can come out. This isn't my style!"

"Oh my god, I did not spend 45 minutes on your hair and makeup just for you to not come out." Vanessa's voice is full of playful sass. "Come on! Let us at least see."

The door handle to the bathroom turns slowly and Jenna steps out.

Vanessa raises her eyebrows, a smile creeping onto her face.

Jenna tucks a strand of now loosely curled hair behind her ear. She's wearing a tight sage green mini skirt that has a small slit against one thigh and a cropped white long sleeve off the shoulder top. Her long blonde hair is middle parted and completely down, loose ironed curls falling to her mid back.

Jenna folds her arms over the small line of stomach that's exposed. "One wrong move and I'm flashing someone."

"Stop it! Put your arms down." Vanessa scolds. "Jenna, you are so beautiful! You look so good! Right, George?"