Episode 3 Band Origin

-GROJBAND INTRO-

Three years ago...

It was a pleasant day in Peaceville. The sun was shining. The birds were chirping...

"LAAANNEY!!!"

And the smothering parents were at full capacity.

A young redheaded girl raced through the back fences of her neighborhood to escape her screaming parents. Her mom and dad stepped out onto their back porch.

"Laney Penn! Get back here, sweetie. We need to go if we're going to make your ballet lessons!" her mother called out, glancing down at her watch.

"And I want you to try on this new dress, sugar pea!" her dad exclaimed while pulling out a sparkly green gown.

However, Laney was looong gone. She ran. Ran as far away as her legs could carry her. She raced through the woods that stood between her and main street. The red head didn't care if her skirt or fancy blouse grew dirty. She just wanted to get the heck out of there!

After tearing through the thick bushes, Laney's eyes set on a single store in the distance. She made her way down the grassy hill and strolled across the street into the old rickety store labeled "Simon's Music Shop".

Ding!

The front door's bell jingled as the ten-year-old waltzed inside.

"We're closed!" a voice called out from behind the counter. An older gentleman was packing up a few boxes, not even looking up to see who his guest was.

"It's just me, Grunkle Simon," Laney said causally. The man turned and quickly smiled at the sight.

"Laney! How's my favorite great niece doing?" he asked while leaning against the countertop. Laney replied with a shrug before strolling over to the instrument displays.

"Same as usual... mom and dad making me do lame stuff," she complained, huffing in irritation.

"Heh, looks like you managed to get away, though," Simon replied while noticing the dirt and scrapes on the little girl's legs. Laney ignored the comment and instantly reached for one of the basses that rested neatly in a case. Her fingers latched onto a teal colored one that was a tad too big for her. However, she still managed to hold it. Laney strolled over to a stool, resting next to the counter, and started plucking the strings.

Every time she played a note on the instrument, her lips would curl into a smile. Great Uncle Simon watched from the sidelines, listening to his little niece as she filled the dusty store with music.

"Getting better with that bass, Laney. You should take that show on the road," Simon said as he continued his packing.

"Nah, soloing for a crowd doesn't sound that fun," Laney replied, setting down the bass beside the counter.

"Well, maybe you should go find yourself some friends who enjoy playing music too." Laney gave a quick eyeroll.

Not again...

"Don't give me that attitude. You always complain about never having anything to do besides what your parents force you to. Finding friends can give you the excuse for something different," Simon replied. He glanced over at his niece to see her clear frown. She was gripping the ends of her skirt as she stared at the thin carpet as if it owed her money. Grunkle Simon sighed before walking over to her. He leaned against the counter and smiled.

"Hey..." Laney snapped out of her thoughts and looked at the grey-haired man. "I think your parents will back off once they see that you're spending time with others. You know they're just worried about you." Laney processed his words for a moment before turning back to the ground. She sighed and gave a slight nod.