1. Arrival

George O'Malley, a doctor at the famous teaching hospital, Seattle Grace, was trying to catch up with some work. He had recently failed his boards, meaning that he could not progress in the residency program, forcing him to re-take his intern year. Apart from the fact he had failed his exam and his marriage was falling apart because he cheated on his wife, things seemed to be going well for him. This was until he felt some hands snake over his eyes, covering them so he couldn't see anything. He jumped out of his skin as their hands made contact with his face.

"What the...?" George mumbled under his breath as he removed the hands from his eyes and turned to face the person who was doing this to him.

"Surprise!!" They squeal as George looks at them in shock. Stood right in front of him was his older sister - one of the most famous and influential doctors throughout the United States.

"Oh my God, what are you doing here?" George smiled, pulling his older sister into a big hug. She was wearing a smart black and floral dress with her signature red heels.

"Well, Chief Webber called me in to assist Erica Hahn with a ventricular repair as well as a difficult heart transplant so... here I am!" She exclaimed with a huge smile on her face.

"But isn't that surgery happening in a few days time?" George questioned the brunette.

"Yes but I wanted to see how my little brother was doing and get to know the hospital and the doctors here. Is that such a crime?" She giggled at her brother, who was looking dumbfounded.

"No not at all. It's just that I didn't know you were coming and I haven't told my friends that I'm Kate O'Malley's younger brother. You know, the world renowned and youngest Cardiothoracic surgeon in the United States. I'd be called all sorts of names. It's bad enough for Meredith." George sighed.

"Meredith as in Dr. Ellis Grey's daughter?" Kate asked her younger brother, who just simply nodded. "I'm sure it won't be as bad as you think."

Just as Kate said this, 4 residents were walking over towards the reception area where the O'Malley siblings were stood. They all took one look at Kate and were completely speechless, especially Christina. There was a moment of silence between all 6 people.

"I take it these are your friends, Georgie?" Kate stated, looking at each of the people stood directly in front of her.

"Um, yeah. Christina, Meredith, Izzie, Alex. This is my sister, Dr. Kate O'Malley." George said quietly, with a sigh of embarrassment.

"Dr. Kate O'Malley as in the famous Dr. O'Malley who performed a Cardiomyapothy in the dark? How come I never worked out that you two are siblings?" Christina said, completely lost-for-words.

"I am she, yes." Kate smiled at Christina, who still had her jaw wide open.

"Wow. It's such an honour to meet you." Christina shook Kate's hand but didn't want to let go.

"I take it you have an interest in Cardiothoracics?" Kate asked Christina, who had just let go of the surgeon's hand.

"How did you...?" Christina asked.

"By the reaction that you had on your face when you saw me and the grip on you had on my hand whilst shaking it." Kate laughed.

"And that's enough of annoying my friends, Kate." George said.

"I've only spoken to Christina. Meredith Grey, is it?" Kate turned to Meredith, who was looking in the opposite direction.

"Yeah that's me." She said.

"I'm sorry to hear about your mother. She was a fantastic surgeon." Kate said, mournfully.

"Thank you and I'm sorry about your dad." Meredith returned and Kate smiled.

"Thank you. Alex. You're the one who got punched by my brother, is that correct?" Kate questioned with a wicked smile on her face.

"Shut up." He retorted and decided to walk away, embarrassed by what Kate had just said.

"And finally. Izzie? The woman who slept with my brother whilst he was married?" Kate said, with that same wicked smile across her face.

"Um yeah that's me." Izzie replied sheepishly, looking down at her feet.

"Kate. What the hell?" George asked her, in complete shock.

"George, you know how I feel about cheating. I seriously wanted to kick your ass when I found out what you had done." Kate said, spitefully.

"Um nice to meet you." Izzie stammered, as the 3 women walked away. Kate grabbed the chart that was waiting for her from the reception desk and started examining it.

"Speaking of cheating, do you know who works in this hospital?" George asked Kate, sounding worried.

"No. Who?" Kate asked, not even looking up from the chart.

"Well, Derek Shepherd and," George began but Kate interrupted him.

"Oh my God I haven't seen Derek in so long! Where is he?" Kate exclaimed.

"I have no idea if I'm honest and someone else does. Someone who you don't particularly like..." George said. Kate looked up at him, quite confused.

"Well, actually, it's two people." George stammered.

"George, spit it out." Kate said, sounding fed up.

"Mark Sloan and Addison Montgomery."

There was silence between the O'Malley siblings. George didn't know how Kate would react to this news.

"Oh. Okay." Kate said, quite shocked and full of emotions.

"I don't think you'll have much to do with them but I just wanted to tell you just in case you bumped into them at any point whilst you're hear. I would feel terrible if I didn't tell you." George said sadly, looking at Kate who looked as though she was going to cry.

"Well, I mean, it was years ago. And I take it Addison and Derek aren't together anymore?" Kate asked her brother.

"No. She came to Seattle and they tried to repair their marriage but it didn't work. He was in love with another woman and she slept with Mark again." George told her.

"Oh right okay. I hope Derek is okay. He really loved her." Kate said, trying to focus on her work but was unable to. "I'd better go and find Chief Webber. Nice to see you George." Kate said. But before George had a chance to reply, she had already disappeared.

{1050 words}