5. All By Myself

The sound of Kate's ringtone filled the silent atmosphere as the surgeon was laying on a hotel bed wide awake. Whilst this surgery was going on, she had booked a hotel room rather than relying on her family. She hadn't always had the best relationship with her parents. You would've thought with her status in the medical field that she was always a golden child but she wasn't. She'd fallen out with her father on numerous occasions and her mother always preferred George over her and her 2 older brothers, Ronnie and Jerry.

When her father died, she wasn't able to get a flight to Seattle until two days later so she made it there in time for the funeral however her mother wasn't impressed. She loved her mom but sometimes their relationships was strained but most of the time they were really close.

Kate looked over at her phone as it hadn't stopped ringing for what felt like hours. She had a number of missed calls from George so she sighed and dialed his number.

"Hello?" George answered.

"Why do you keep calling me? It's 2am and I have to be in the hospital in 4 hours." Kate said whilst fake yawning.

"Because I saw you storm out of Joe's and I wanted to see if you're okay." George asked, sounding concerned.

"Georgie, I'm fine." Kate replied.

"You don't storm out of places very often. What did he say to you?" George asked.

"It was nothing." Kate responded.

"It can't have been nothing." George urged and Kate sighed at her younger brother.

"He wanted me to move to Seattle." Kate said.

"As much as I would love you to love here as well, you have a life in Florida." George said.

"That's what I said to him but I think I overreacted." Kate said.

"How did you overreact? He was trying to convince you to stay and he needs to respect that you have moved on from him and have a life somewhere else." George sighed.

"I know but I think he had good intentions." Kate replied.

"I don't want you going anywhere near him. He's too much trouble." George said.

"Excuse me? You can't control who I can and can't see. Plus I'm going to be working in the same hospital as him for the next few days so I'm going to see him, at some point." Kate said, rolling her eyes at the youngest O'Malley.

"Just be careful." George sighed and hung up, filling Kate's room with silence.

She had a love-hate relationship with being alone. She loved it because she had time to relax and was able to think about different things. However, she hates it because she's alone with her thoughts, having to think about everything that has happened to her. She shut off the light above her and lay down to try and sleep but she couldn't. She tossed and turned but it was no use. All she could think about was Mark and what had happened between them. How she missed the old Mark...

{512 words}

!!Author's Note!!

I just want to say a HUGE thank you for the votes and views!!

This is insane!!!!