10. Wonderful Tonight

"This place is amazing! How did you even find it?" Kate exclaimed. He smiled at her.

"I know people." He said, taking a sip of his wine. Slept with them, more like.

"So, why did you want to take me to dinner?" Kate asked, raising one eyebrow at the plastic surgeon sat in front of her.

"To celebrate your surgery! Plus, our drink at Joe's didn't exactly go to plan." Mark explained, sounding quite sheepish by the end of the sentence.

"And whose fault is that?" Kate said. Mark rolled his eyes at Kate.

"I just want things to be okay between us. We were such good friends before we even started our relationship." Mark said, letting out a sigh.

"Mark, I don't think we can ever be as close as we were back in New York. Things have changed. I've grown. You've moved on. Plus, I'll be gone in a couple of days." Kate replied.

"When do you leave?" He asked.

"4 days time. Just enough time for the patient to start the recovery process and then I can monitor the situation from Florida. If there's complications, I could stay longer or even have to fly back over." Kate explained. Mark nodded.

"Fair enough. It's a shame you can't stay longer. Would've been nice to do a case with you, just like the old days." Mark said, smiling.

"We only worked together because you constantly put me on your service." Kate joked.

"It was a constant battle between me and Derek. And then you betrayed both of us for Cardio." He joked back, making Kate laugh.

"And I am now a cardio god!" Kate exclaimed.

"The best in the country!" Mark said, smiling.

"What are you going to order?" Kate asked, looking at the menu.

"I'm thinking lasagne. You'll probably go for the spaghetti and then taste it and say 'it's not as good as my mom's.' Am I right?" Mark said cheekily.

"You know me too well, Sloan." Kate said, taking a sip of her wine. "But I'm going to be more exotic today, seeing as you're paying."

"Oh are you now? I paid most of the time and yet you still ordered the same thing." Mark replied.

"Well lately there's been a lot of change so why not be more adventurous?! I'm gonna go with the chicken tortellini with the tomato sauce." Kate said, closing the menu.

"Let's see if you actually like this." Mark joked. When a waiter walked past, he caught their attention and ordered for the both of us and another bottle of red wine. Shortly after, their food arrived and they began eating.

"Oh my god this is delicious." Kate said, moaning in delight.

"I know. Do you wanna try some lasagne?" Mark asked. She shook her head.

"Don't like lasagne." Kate said, screwing her face up.

"Since when? You love lasagne!" Mark exclaimed.

"I got bad food poisoning about 5 months ago from a bad lasagne from some place in Florida." Kate said, taking another bite of her tortellini.

After eating their meals, it was time to pay the bill. They argued for a bit but ultimately, Mark paid for the meal. They got into a cab and stopped off at the hotel that Kate was staying at.

"Tonight was nice. Thank you for taking me and for paying. I'll pay next time." Kate said.

"Oh? There will be a next time?" Mark said, raising an eyebrow.

"Not saying yes but not saying no." Kate replied, smiling.

"Not a bad date." Mark said.

"It wasn't a date." Kate said, turning to face the surgeon.

"Yes it was."

"Nope. Never in a million years."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah."

And with that, Mark lifted his hand and stroked her cheek, pulling her in for a kiss. It was a gentle and slow kiss but she did kiss back. However, she pulled away slowly.

"Mark, I don't think I can." Kate said quietly.

"That's okay. I understand." Mark replied. "Worth a shot."

"I mean it though. Thank you for a lovely night. I'll see you at work tomorrow?" Kate said.

"I'll have a hot chocolate waiting for you." Mark said.

"Marshmallows. No whipped cream." Kate said, walking through the doors.

"Do you really think I'd forget?" Mark joked. Kate smiled and walked through the doors.

{719 words}

Hey everyone! I'm aware this is boring but we will get to the good stuff soon I promise. Life has been busy recently!