4. Whiskey in the Jar

"Let's make a toast." Mark said, causing Kate to laugh lightly.

"To what?" Kate said, taking a sip of her Cosmopolitan. The pair were sat at the bar, surrounded by their colleagues however, they were on their own.

"To you and your new life here at Seattle Grace!" Mark said, raising his glass of scotch slightly. Kate laughed at his gesture and lifted hers up too. They clinked glasses and took a sip of their drinks.

"What made you decide to come to Seattle? You seemed pretty happy in New York." Kate asked Mark. He sighed and put his glass down.

"If I'm honest, I went back to repair things with Derek. Webber offered me a job there so I took it. I then saw Addison again and we, you know, and that was the end of her and Derek. I mean the first time I saw Derek in Seattle, he punched me in the face. Turns out the girl I was talking to was the girl he fell in love with over here. I know I've done some crappy things to him but he didn't have to punch me." Mark explained and Kate laughed at the last statement.

"You do kind of deserve it." Kate replied.

"For other things, yes. But not talking to Meredith." Mark said and Kate smiled.

"Well I bet he's worried you're gonna do to them what you did to him and Addison. It's a pretty normal reaction." Kate said.

"I'm a changed man. Coming to Seattle made me grow as a person. I'm not like that anymore." Mark said and Kate sniggered.

"You literally just said you've slept with Addison SINCE you got here; not to mention that her and Derek were trying to save their marriage whilst it had happened." Kate said.

"I've learned from my mistakes." Mark said.

"Sure you do," Kate said. "Do you enjoy working in Seattle?" Kate asked.

"I love it here. I can't wait for you to settle in here. I think you're going to love it too." Mark said.

"You think so?" Kate asked.

"Oh I know so. When am I ever wrong about you settling into places? Never." Mark said cockily.

"Okay but don't get too comfortable with me being here because after this surgery, I'm going back to Florida." Kate said.

"Why?" Mark asked.

"Because Florida is my home. I'm Head of Cardio there, I have an apartment, I have friends there. My life is in Florida." Kate explained.

"You could have a life here instead. You could buy a house, we need a Head of Cardio here," Mark attempted to convince Kate but she shook her head and interrupted him.

"Mark I want to go back to Florida. Being around you and Addison for a few days is going to be hard enough, let alone months and even possibly years. I can't go through that again." Kate sighed.

"Kate," Mark started and Kate interrupted him once again.

"No Mark. I'm not doing this. After this surgery, I'm going back to Florida and there's nothing that you could possibly say or do to me that's going to convince me otherwise. I knew this was a big mistake." Kate said, standing up. She grabbed her coat off the back of her stool and started to leave the bar. Mark stood up.

"Wait!" He yelled but she was already out of the door. He sighed and slumped back down on the stool and asked for another drink.

Across the bar, George and his friends were sat watching the whole fiasco.

"I'm going to kill him." George muttered, downed his drink and stood up. However, Meredith and Izzie pulled him back down.

"That's not a good idea." Meredith said.

"He cheated on my sister and now he's hurt her again. I swear to God..." George said angrily and Izzie rubbed his arm in an attempt to calm him down yet he yanked it away from her.

"George, I know you're mad, but just breathe. Seeing him again is going to be difficult for her but there will be a time where they can be civil with each other. I mean, look at you and Callie. At least you can speak to each other without her being visibly upset." Meredith explained, calming George down.

"I may not say something to him now, but I'll get my opportunity to, one day." George threatened.

{733 words}