17. Dirty Little Secret

The next morning, Mark woke up to an empty bed with a note on the pillow. It read:

Mark,
I've been paged into work. See you later.
Kate x

Mark sighed and rolled back over. He started to overthink everything. Had he scared her away? Had he lost her? Has he ruined everything? All of these thoughts spun around his head. Thankfully, he didn't have to go into work today so he could calm himself down before she came home.

Meanwhile at the hospital, Kate was sat sat her desk with a coffee in her hand. She became consumed with thoughts about her and mark last night. She didn't entirely regret it - she just felt weak. She swore to herself that she would never go back to him after what she did and yet they've kissed and now slept together. She put her head in her hands, thinking that she's probably lost Mark as a friend. But did she want something more?

Just as she was heading into a spiral, she was interrupted by a dark haired surgeon.

"Good morning." A voice spoke. It was Derek.

"Oh hey Derek." Kate said lost in thought.

"What's up? You're not as cheery as you normally are." Derek quizzed.

"Oh it's nothing. Just concentrating on my chart." Kate lied.

"You do realise I can still tell when you're lying to me?" Derek said chuckling. Kate sighed.

"It's nothing honestly." Kate said. Derek looked at her with an eyebrow raised.

"Tell me." Derek said. Kate put her head in her hands.

"I slept with Mark." Kate said with remorse. Just as she did, a fellow doctor was stood behind her who had just heard this entire exchange.

"You did WHAT?"