11. Where Are We Now?

Kate woke up the next morning after being restless all night. Mark kissed her. She kissed him back. What on earth is going on? She kept reliving that moment. But the worst thing about the entire situation? There were fireworks. The fireworks were still there, even after all this time and after what he did to her. It was so unfair! Why did it have to be like this?

She heard her alarm blaring and put her pillow over her head, trying to make it stop. Eventually, she rolled over and turned off the alarm. She didn't want to get up and face the day, face Mark; face anything, for that matter. Nonetheless, she got out of bed, had a shower and began to get ready.

Once her hair and makeup were sorted and she was all dressed and ready, she left her room. All she could think about was what this day was going to bring. She took a deep breath and headed to the hospital.

She walked through the glass doors to be immediately greeted by George and all of the other interns.

"Hey George, what's up?" Kate asked her brother.

"Dr Webber wants to see you. He told me to tell you because, you know, I'm your brother. You're favourite brother." George said.

"Why are you being creepy?" Kate asked.

"I'm not. I'm just letting you know." George replied.

"Okay... where is he?" Kate asked.

"At the reception desk. Come and find me after you've spoken to him." He replied and then he and his friends left without another word. That was bizarre. She shrugged and walked over to the reception desk, where the chief was standing.

"Hey, Richard. George said that you wanted to see me?" Kate asked.

"Ah yes. Your patient has been flown in early, complaining of severe chest pains. I tried paging you but I take it you didn't get anything." Richard said, handing her the chart.

"No, I haven't. I'm so sorry, I didn't know." Kate panicked, flicking through the chart. She saw the room number and raced over to it. As she got to the elevator, her adrenaline kicked in. Mark walked up behind her, holding a cup of what she guessed to be the hot chocolate that he promised her the night before.

"Hey, Kate. I just want to say sorry for last night. I-" Mark said but Kate cut him off.

"Mark I can't right now. My patient has been flown in early. I need to get up there." Kate said very quickly. As she finished her sentence, the elevator doors opened and she jumped in and she pressed the button.

"At least take this. I'll see you later." Mark said, sounding a little sad. She took the drink and mouthed thank you to him as the doors closed. She felt bad for running off but then it was also a relief because of what had happened the night before. 

This elevator ride was the longest of her entire life. As she got up to the helipad, she was created by Dr Erica Hahn.

"Ah, Kate. Nice to see you again." She said as they both anticipated the arrival of the patient.

"Hi Erica, how are you?" Kate responded.

"In these current circumstances? I'm great." She replied. As soon as Erica finished speaking, the whirring of a helicopter came over the pair of doctors. They were both nearly knocked over by the sheer power of the helicopter blades. The helicopter landed and two paramedics jumped out of the vehicle and raced to get the patient out of the back.

"Carla Jennings. 25. Severe chest pains. Went unconscious during air travel. BP low. She has had 50mg of morphine as well as Beta Blockers." One of the paramedics explained.

"Alright, let's get her downstairs," Kate said and the four of them raced her into the Hospital. 

{638 words}