8. Apologise

Kate turned to her right to see the man she didn't want to see. The man who made her cry herself to sleep all those years ago. The man that made her consider telling the chief that she can't do these groundbreaking surgeries.

"I'm sorry, what?" Kate asked, not quite remembering what Mark had just asked her.

"I said, can we talk?" Mark sighed and Kate looked him in the eyes. She could tell he was remorseful but she didn't particularly want to have a conversation with him.

"How about... no." Kate replied, turning around to walk away. Mark grabbed her arm and she spun around.

"Please, Kate." Mark pleaded, giving her his signature puppy look. She sighed and rolled her eyes.

"What is there to talk about? The fact that you were basically trying to force me to stay in Seattle when you know I have a life in Florida. A life that I wouldn't have had if you were faithful to me. I don't want to hear your stupid apology because I know you don't exactly mean it. You never do. I want to be civil with both you and Addison because it will make my time here a whole lot easier if I do. If it was just a short visit to see my brother, then I would've left by now. Hell, I wouldn't have even taken the damn job if I knew you worked here. So why don't you just leave me the hell alone?!" Kate exploded. She didn't scream or shout. She was very calm at the beginning but her temper began to rise to the point where she couldn't keep fully quiet anymore.

"Can we do this in private?" Mark asked, looking embarrassed.

"Fine." Kate huffed and the pair walked into the supplies closet and Mark closed the door behind him.

"First of all, I never wanted you to think that I was forcing you to stay in Seattle. I was giving you choices of what you could do if you did at any point change your mind. I can tell you're a lot happier in Florida. Second of all, I didn't even know you were coming here. I would've gone on vacation because I know how much I hurt you. Webber didn't tell anyone but Erica that you were coming here." Mark explained and Kate just looked at him. She looked into his eyes and saw that he was being genuine for once in his life. Kate began to remember all the good times they had together.

When she was sad because her patient coded when she just left the room to get a chart, he took her out for ice cream and they had a long walk in the park.

When they used to go to Central Park and feed the ducks on their day off.

On their first anniversary, Mark gave her a necklace with a star on it "so she'd never forget how amazing she is". A necklace that she still has to this day.

After their first big fight, Mark left and returned with a huge bouquet of Roses, one being fake, to apologise for being a huge ass to her. Mark said that the fake rose represented his love for her and that it would never die.

When they went to an awards ceremony and it was all posh food and they bailed and got McDonald's instead.

The first time they kissed.

The first time they said I love you.

But then she remembered seeing him in bed with Addison. The look of sadness on his face when she looked at him. Him pleading with her take him back. Her closing the door and never looking back.

Kate then came back to reality, with tears in her eyes. Mark noticed immediately, something he was always good at doing.

"Hey, hey, hey. What's up? Please don't cry." Mark said in a soothing voice, putting both of his hands on her upper arms. She wiped her eyes gently.

"I'm okay. I was just thinking about things. You know, reminiscing I guess." Kate admitted. She knew he was sorry. She didn't trust him anymore. She couldn't. He slept with her best friend. She took a seat on one of the stools and he pulled one opposite her and sat down.

"Kate, I know you'll never be able to forgive me and I don't even forgive myself. I am truly sorry about this whole thing." Mark said, drowning in guilt. One sign that Mark was being honest was him opening up his emotions. When he was genuine, he blurted everything out.

"I still have that necklace, you know." Kate muttered, making eye contact with Mark.

"You do?" Mark asked.

"Of course I do. It was expensive so there was no way I was throwing that out, no matter how much I hated you." Kate giggled slightly, Mark returning it. Mark was in shock that she kept it. He knew that she was sentimental but he hurt her deeply.

"Is there anyway that you and I could be friends again?" Mark asked with hope in his voice. Kate sighed and took a moment to think.

"Eventually. I'm still adjusting to everything and getting used to the hospital. But in time, yes. I won't forgive you but I will move from it." Kate smiled and the pair stood up. Kate felt a weight lift off her shoulders. After all this time, she had finally got the closure from Mark that she needed. There were still many unanswered questions that she had about him and Addison's affair but at least she knew how deeply sorry he was and she could genuinely tell.

She felt her thigh buzz so she checked her pager. Cristina paged her to let her know that the OR is ready and Mrs Johnson is ready for pre-op.

"I have to go. I have a patient going in for surgery." Kate said, walking over towards the door.

"Thank you." Mark said.

"For what?" Kate replied.

"For talking to me and listening to what I had to say." Mark stated.

"I want this trip to Seattle to be as stress-free as possible. I want to be civil and not make enemies." Kate smiled.

"Good luck for your first surgery." Mark said, smiling. Kate mouthed thank you and left the supply closet.

{1034 words}