15. Every Little Step

"So how's living with Mark?" Derek asked Kate, who was flipping through her patient's chart. She thinks for a moment, wondering what to say to Derek.

"It's weird, I won't lie." Kate replied, sighing.

"What do you mean?" Derek asked her.

"It's just like how it used to be except there's no romance or sex." Kate replied.

"Do you want there to be romance and sex?" Derek asked and Kate choked. Did she want something to happen?

"Well no because I don't trust him anymore. Sure, he makes me smile and laugh and stuff but I could never go there again." Kate said. The way that she was speaking was unconvincing to Derek, who could see right through her.

"Uh-huh sure. I give it a month." Derek said.

"I'm being serious, Derek." Kate said.

"Kate, I know you. And I also know Mark. He likes you but doesn't want to admit it. You two will get back together. I'm telling you." Derek said with a slight laugh.

"Oh haha. Don't you have a surgery to get to?" Kate said.

"Probably." Derek said, shrugging. He gave her another smile and walked away.

Kate sighed as she continued to look through the chart. She felt a tap on her shoulder and she huffed and turned around to see her younger brother.

"You've moved in with Sloan? What is wrong with you?" George exclaimed.

"As I have told you many times before, you're not in charge of my life. You're not dad. I can live with whoever I want." Kate argued back to him.

"You're going to get hurt. He's done it once and he'll do it again." George replied.

"All you do is moan at me. I know Mark hurt me. I was the one that had to live through it, not you. It's not like I'm sleeping with him in t planning to get back into a relationship with him. I needed a place to stay because I'm having to stay longer than I expected to, not that you've even asked." Kate vented. The hospital surrounding them both stood silent. George huffed and stormed away.

"Are you okay?" She heard a voice behind her speak. It was Callie.

"It's just George being an ass. I'm okay." Kate said with a weak smile.

"Just ignore him. He's just jealous that he has no one because he missed out on this." Callie joked, gesturing to herself. This made Kate laugh.

"I'd expect that sort of stick from my older brothers. I just get fed up of it. I came here and I thought that everything would be okay but clearly not." Kate said.

"Just speak to Mark about it. I'm sure you'll come up with some sort of solution." Callie said, placing a hand on Kate's shoulder.

"You think so?" Kate asked.

"Of course! Just speak to Mark and then when George calms down, speak to him as well." Callie said.

"Thanks Callie." Kate said smiling.