09. Family

☀︎︎☀︎︎☀︎︎

                                                                                                 •  SHE DIDN'T OPEN HER eyes at first

                                                                                                 •

  SHE DIDN'T OPEN HER
eyes at first. As she slowly began to wake, Olivia could hear the frantic shuffling of feet and the familiar beeping of heart monitors. She could smell the scent of sterilized medical equipment and freshly cleaned sheets. Slowly, she opened her eyes. The bright lab lights hurt her tender irises as she blinked rapidly. Olivia turned to look to the side and immediately her head started throbbing. She slapped a hand to her forehead as she groaned.

In the distance, equipment clanged as footsteps rushed to her. Wide-eyed, Hank came into view. "Oh my god, you're awake!" He cheered. He was careful about hugging her. "How are you feeling?" He grabbed a rolling stool and sat next to her.

She reached out to grab his hand and grasped it tightly. "Like shit," She sighed and looked around. "What happened?" As she examined the lab, she noticed the IV sticking out of her arm, but instead of being connected to a drip, it was attached to a strange machine. "...what the-"

"An electricity stabilizer," Hank interjected. She tilted her head, confused. "Olivia...I'm going to be honest with you," He took a long pause. "You were dying. In a last-minute attempt to save yourself you expelled literally every ounce of electricity your body had —every last drop of it. Without electricity in your body, you wouldn't have survived long," He was shaking. Olivia tightened her grip on his hand. "I managed to make a makeshift stabilizer out of Ororo to get you safely back and then when she couldn't be here any longer, I made this."

Olivia was shocked, to say the least. "Wow..." She sighed deeply. "How long have I been out?"

"About twelve hours, give or take,"

"Twelve?!" Olivia gasped, quickly moving to get up, but as the room spun, she decided it was best to stay lying down. "Ugh...did you guys catch the mutants that did this?" Hank didn't respond. "Do you know who they were? They kept talking about their boss and getting paid, so someone definitely wanted me. Would you know why?" Again, silence. Hank stared blankly at their hands. "Hello? Earth to Hank?" She jerked her hand from his and snapped her fingers, regaining his attention.

"S-Sorry," He gulped, not completely making eye contact with her.

"Hank, what's wrong?" She knitted her eyebrows in concern.

The scientist stiffened as he gulped. "We weren't able to capture the mutants that did this," His voice was tight.

Olivia's head sunk. "They got away before you could grab them, huh?" She watched as Hank shook his head. "No?"

"No," Hank huffed. "Because there were no mutants left to catch. When we found you, there were three piles of ash next to you. I did a few tests and..." He gulped. "Determined they were the mutants who attacked you."