10. A Real Family

☀︎︎☀︎︎☀︎︎

                                                                                                    •  TO SAY CHARLES WAS angry was an understatement — he was livid

                                                                                                    •

  TO SAY CHARLES WAS
angry was an understatement — he was livid. The team all stood around in his office as the man wheeled around in a panic. Olivia sat with her head down, her knee bouncing nervously. Peter stood next to her, a hand placed on her shoulder. "I take back what I said," He mumbled to her as the Professor groaned.

"Charles," Hank spoke up. "What are we gonna do?" His voice shook slightly and the pit in Olivia's stomach grew. "None of us are safe here with that task force. If we have to shut down the school again-"

"We won't," Charles interjected sternly. He let out a shaky sigh, pinching the bridge of his nose. This is all my fault, Olivia thought bitterly. Charles's head snapped up towards her. "None of this is your fault, Olivia," He told her seriously. "Your father is simply doing this for money and publicity, nothing else."

As much as it stung, she knew it was true. It was all about the money, not his daughter. "I know. But, he's still my father. What if I just go and talk to him?"

"No!" Hank and Charles shouted at the same time.

Charles cleared his throat as his face turned red. "That's far too dangerous. I've already put you in one life-threatening situation, I will not put you into a second," He groaned, slamming a hand down on his desk. Olivia jumped. "I need to think. Hank, Raven, stay here. The rest of you out...please," His voice cracked softly.

Standing shakily, Olivia watched Charles with a frown. With his hand still on her shoulder, Peter led her out of the room along with the younger members of the X-Men. Once the door shut, Olivia let out a loud groan. "This is such bullshit!" She stomped her foot, ripping her shoulder away from Peter as she paced. "This is my dad, I should fix it."

"You heard what The Professor said," Jean said sadly. "We don't know what he would do to you if we sent you to him. Didn't you say that that Remy guy gave you that?" She pointed to Olivia's bandaged neck.

She huffed. "He caught me off guard. Next time, I'd be ready," From beside her, Peter laughed with a scoff. Olivia turned sharply to him. "What? Think I can't handle myself?" Her fingers sparked with golden energy.

"Believe me, I know you can," Peter defended, eyeing her hands cautiously. "But I know you, Olivia. As soon as you see your father you'll freeze up. That's when they get the jump on you."

Olivia's heart dropped. He was right and it pissed her off. Huffing, she crossed her arms. "So what? At least you all will be safe. He's only doing this to get to me and Charles. We leave, you won't get hurt."

Scott scoffed. "Olivia, I'm sorry but that is some bullshit," He pointed out. "Whether or not you or The Professor are here won't make a difference. Do you think they'll believe a bunch of mutants? They'll think we're hiding you and tear this place apart."