Hunter's Exam

Eve's p.o.v.

The first few days on my own wasn't very hard. I took any assassination jobs that came my way and also did some street acts to gain some money. It wasn't much of a surprise that it didn't take long to get enough to make sure I'd be fine. On the other hand I was also looking for something to entertain myself with. Sure killing my targets and performing for people had its perks but I was getting bored since it had been the same thing over and over. As I walked the streets of Zaban City, I overheard a group of men talking and decided to listen in to see if I could find something to do.

"Are you going to be retaking the hunter's exam this year? I've heard it's going to be harder than last year."

"Hell yeah! The perks from a hunter's license alone is worth it! Imagine the places you could go! Not to mention the amount of money hunters get!"

"I'd join you but I don't feel like risking my life. It's not often that rookies pass the hunter's exam and I've heard many applicants lose their lives during it."

Hunter's exam huh? Sounds interesting. Perhaps I'll join. Now all I need is to find out where it's located and I'll be all set. Stepping out from behind the crate I was hiding behind, I approached the three men calmly and decided to be polite about my question first.

"Excuse me but I couldn't help overhearing your conversation about the hunter's exam and I was wondering if you could tell me where it's being held?" I asked giving them all an innocent look and they looked at each other and laughed before turning their attention back to me.

"Sorry but there's no way a little girl like yourself would ever be able to make it past the first phase. Why don't you run along and go play somewhere else." The first man taunted and I clenched my teeth trying to control my anger.

"Oh but please mister! I just want to have some fun. It's so boring around here and I want to do something exciting!" I pleaded and the other two just gave me a disgusting grin letting me know what was going through their heads which sent a shiver down my spine. I'll admit that I wasn't the brightest when it came to someone flirting with me but I had gotten that look before from men much older and I knew all to well what it meant.

"If that's the case I'm sure we could help you with that. Why don't we go somewhere more private." The second man suggested and I had to bite my tongue to keep from gagging. I decided to play innocent knowing this wouldn't end well for them and followed them to a dark alley. Once there I sighed as I relaxed my shoulders. I had already gauged their strength and knew this would be over quickly.

After a few minutes the three were on the ground as I held a sharpened violin bow to the first man's throat. To make my intentions clear, I pressed down drawing a thin line of blood from the man in my grasp. The other two looked at me with wide eyes as they shivered in fear. I smiled enjoying the fear I managed to cause amongst the three men. This had always been one of my favorite parts of assassination but it was growing old due to how easy my targets were.

"I'm sorry, did you think I was defenseless? Now I'll ask you once more. Choose your next words wisely and I might just spare your lives. Where is the examination site located?" I asked calmly as I leant down to the man I was holding's face looking at him.

"I-It's in an underground tunnel below a restaurant I swear! P-please don't kill us we're sorry!" He answered quickly and I smiled as I let him go throwing him to the ground.

"Be warned, if I see any of you at the exam I will not hesitate to kill you. If you truly wish to be hunters then you need to learn how to become men first." I said as I walked away and made my way to the exam site. I hadn't bothered changing since I thought nothing of it at the moment.