005

005

IVY AND ANNABETH were assigned to settle percy into a routine. something the daughter of aphrodite threw a fit about, but the centaur didn't let her go easily. he insisted that she was the best option to show percy the reins of camp.

each morning annabeth taught him ancient greek, about the gods and goddesses, and everything percy had known to be a myth. ivy tried to teach him latin, key word: tried. they still didn't go much into a conversation without fighting, but annabeth was always there to ease the tension.

the rest of the day, they made him rotate through outdoor activities, looking for something percy was good at. chiron and ivy tried to teach him archery, but made a fast discovery that he wasn't any good with a bow and arrow. ivy made sure to let him know that she was one of the best archers at camp.

percy was atrocious at foot racing, too. the wood nymph instructors left him in the dust. ivy had openly laughed while they tried to make it seem so bad of a loss. but it was still funny to be slower than a tree.

the only thing he excelled at was canoeing, which didn't impress anybody.

the senior campers and counsellors were all watching percy like a hawk, trying to decide who his father was, but it seemed impossible. he wasn't as strong as the ares kids, or as good at archery as the apollo kids. he didn't have hephaestus's skill with metal work or dionysus's way with vine plants.

thursday afternoon, on percy's third day at camp half-blood. ivy was passing by the arena when the stolls approached her.

"ivy, come on you've got to see this!" travis said, linking his right arm through her left.

connor linked his left arm with her right, "luke's picking percy as his partner for sparing."

while being hauled up by the two brothers ivy said, "now that is a type of embarrassment i'll like to see."

when they reached the arena, luke was showing different thrusts, parries, and shield blocks the hard way with percy. he was getting battered and bruised with every step. "keep your guard up, percy," ivy heard luke tell him, them he whap percy in the ribs with the flat of his blade. "no, not that far up!" whap! "lunge!" whap! "now, back!" whap!

by the time luke called a break, percy was soaked in sweat. everybody swarmed the drinks cooler. ivy decided to approach the black haired boy.

"you're getting your ass handed on a silver plate," she said as she reached him.

percy twirled around at the sound of her voice. immediately, he scowled at her before turning back around grabbing a cold water. "and i'm guessing you're the best swordsmen– i mean swordswomen at camp?" he said, uncapping the water bottle. ivy snorted.

"i use a type of dagger, so no. i'm not the best swordswomen at camp. that title stays with luke," she told him, stuffing her hand on the back pockets of her jean shorts.

while he took a sip of water, percy got a pensive look on his eyes. he swallowed and asked, " a golden knife right? you were playing with it when you were waiting in front of the hermes cabin."

ivy raised an eyebrow at his observation but nodded, taking out the golden guitar pick out of her pocket and twirled it around her finger. "the same one," the pick turned into a dagger in her palm. she let percy see it for a moment before making it a pick again. placing it back in her pocket.