016

016

THE THREE DEMIGODS and their satyr friend were escorted back to camp by argus, the many-eyes security chief. it was the friday before christmas, but given the early hour the long island expressway was deserted.

as they trudged back up half-blood hill to the pine tree where the golden fleece glittered, iy half expected to see thalia there, waiting for them. but she wasn't. she was long gone with artemis and the rest of the hunters, off on their next adventure.

but there was somebody else waiting there. the person who she hadn't updated on anything that had happened in the last week. ivy cringed, knowing this was the moment of her death.

gabriel delgado.

he stood with his hands on his hips, tapping his foot rapidly. his face was contorted in anger, for a second his eyes flashed purple. ivy could see the steam coming out of his ears.

"ivy maria fitzgerald!" gabriel shouted as he stomped towards her.

ivy looked around for a quick escape, but there was nothing to take his attention. there was someone. she turned to her friends, percy was already sprinting away, annabeth wasn't so fast though. ivy grabbed her by the shoulder, annabeth let out a squeak when she was yacked in front of just in time for gabriel to reach them.

"hi, gabi!" ivy said from behind annabeth.

the son of dionysus' eyes softened immediately. "annabeth! i– i heard what happened!" he smiled awkwardly at the blonde, all his anger gone. "ar– are you okay? i'm, um, glad you are."

ivy took a cautious step back from her two friends.

annabeth ran her hands through her hair frantically. "yeah, yeah. um, i'm fine– ah, i was really getting sea sick. you know– boats aren't my thing."

five more steps back.

"go– good thing they got to you o– on time, right?" gabriel chuckled awkwardly. "i– i would've gone if..." his eyes drifted to ivy who was standing a few meters away from them. he glared at her. "if they would have told me you were in danger in the first place instead of going off on a deadly class without telling me!"

"oh shit!" ivy turned on her heel and ran towards the big house.

"you're gonna get it, ivy!" gabriel chased after her, annabeth snorted in the distance. "if there's someone more mad that i am is ma! we need to talk, young lady!"

panting heavily, ivy reached the big house. gabriel glared at her once more when he entered the room after her, pointing two fingers to his eyes then back at her as if saying i'm watching you. she held up her hands in surrender.

chiron greeted them with hot chocolate and toasted cheese sandwiches. grover went off with his satyr friends to spread the word about their strange encounter with the magic of pan. within an hour, the satyrs were all running around agitated, asking where the nearest espresso bar was.

annabeth, percy, ivy and gabriel sat with chiron and some of the other senior campers – beckendorf, silena beauregard and the stoll brothers. gabriel wasn't his cabin's counselor, since his brothers had seniority but since they weren't at camp he took their place at meetings. clarisse from the ares cabin was there, back from her scouting mission to... there. ivy sent her a question look, after all she had helped clarisse when it came to research, but the girl didn't met her eyes.