prologue

nova — peter parker

prologue: the experiment

。☆✼★━━━━━━━━━★✼☆。

Arabella Maximoff stood in HYDRA's experimentation room, anxiously tapping her feet against the cold floor. The room gave a sinister vibe; there were grimy cobble walls and a ceiling that looked like it would collapse at any given moment.

     Looking ahead, Arabella could see the evident blue glow of the Mind stone, though she didn't know what that was. She tilted her head in wonder and awe, watching as it hummed.

     As she stepped tentatively closer to it, she could feel the vibrations of the metal door shutting behind her, leaving her with no choice but to proceed further.

     "For our notes, Miss Maximoff," the scientist started. "Can you please state your name and confirm your status?"

     She deadpanned at the man behind the glass panel, "You just said my name."

     Arabella always had quite the attitude, which is why her brother, Pietro, had granted her the nickname "Feisty."

     She and her siblings didn't see each other much during their time at HYDRA. The Maximoff trio had joined the terrorist organization when Tony Stark bombed their city, leaving the kids parentless and homeless.

     The glare the scientist sent her was enough for her to roll her eyes and mutter, "Arabella Maximoff. Volunteer."

     "Begin experimentation."

     The young girl could see the men whisper about something, but the glass window separating them prevented her from hearing their conversation.

     "Touch the sample," a doctor ordered.

     You're doing it for Wanda and Pietro, she thought to herself. For Ma and Pa.

     Arabella slowly walked closer to the scepter, hearing its whirrs and buzzes echo across the dingy room.

     Before she could quite reach it, the scepter began to rattle vigorously. She watched as the stone flew out from its place in the weapon.

     She took a small step back as it soared towards her but kept her ground. She, curious but cautious, extended her hand out. Just as the tip of her finger reached the faint glow of the gem, the stone exploded, morphing from an ocean blue to a lemon yellow. The radiant beams clouded her vision as she was forcefully pushed back two feet. Yet, she still kept standing, her eyes unconsciously squinting from the bright luminescence.

     Suddenly, the light dimmed, morphing into one small ball before exploding across the room. She could no longer see the walls or even the scientists that lay behind them. No, Arabella only saw a black, endless void clad with bright stars above.

     The glimmer in her doe eyes seemed to dilate, taking in her new surroundings. She could make out some easy constellations, including Orion and The Big Dipper.

     She turned to her left, or what she thought was her left, only to be met with a tall figure.

     The figure was flying one foot above her, its arms outstretched and generating what seemed to be a ball of violet light under her palms. When its fingers twitched, as did the light.

     The figure came in closer to view, allowing Arabella to notice her brown hair with light purple streaks scattered through it flowing to her waist. Her eyes were a dark shade of lavender.

     The rays being produced by the figure expanded and expanded, eventually consuming the void. Arabella could feel herself falling and hitting the floor with a small thud.

     The scientists, who watched the volunteer the entire time, had no idea what the Maximoff had seen. All they witnessed was a five-second blackout before the lights turned back on, revealing Arabella passed out on the floor. They wasted no time as they rushed in, thankful to see that their experiment had worked a third time.

As they lifted the young girl onto the stretcher, they weren't aware of one major detail:

The stars were nothing compared to the 

NOVA

that rested in her soul.

。☆✼★━━━━━━━━━★✼☆。

author's note

i'm really excited to start this one, i've got a couple ideas for this story that i hope u like. obviously peter won't be coming in until after age of ultron, so don't expect him for a lil bit.