006

nova — peter parker

chapter six: what if?

。☆✼★━━━━━━━━━★✼☆。

"Is this the last of them?" questioned Thor as he regrouped with the youngest Maximoff and Captain America.

     "Yeah," said Steve, panting of exhaustion. "Everyone else is on the carrier."

     "You know, this works, we maybe don't walk away," Tony told the team.

     "We had a chance of not walking away before the city flew," Arabella scoffed. "How's this any different?"

     Steve sighed at the girl's accepting demeanor. He knew she felt guilty for working with Ultron before finding out what his goal was, but he didn't want her to be willing to throw away her life after she changed for the better.

     She's just a kid, he constantly reminded himself. She's 14, maybe younger. Arabella shouldn't be going through this, never mind accepting her demise.

     Steve was shaken from his thoughts as gunfire rained down upon the trio, causing them to dive for cover. Arabella took shelter behind a nonfunctional truck.

     When the gunfire ceased, she couldn't help but feel her stomach raise higher, as though it was a countdown to catastrophe. Her heart pumped faster, her breath caught in her throat.

      Arabella watched helplessly as Pietro sped past her and toward Clint and a young, terrified boy in his arms.

     "No!" she yelped, but she was too late.

     Her heart dropped; her stomach returned to its place in her body only she thought it fell lower as she watched Pietro's body become penetrated with holes, bullet holes.

     As tears poured down her face, ear-splitting screams of terror and painful sobs coming out of her mouth. Arabella's mind filled to the brim with blames, most of which victims were the girl herself.

     What if, she thought, you sent a forcefield?

     What if, she thought, you destroyed Ultron's ship before he got to them?

     What if, she thought, you could have saved him?

     She then realized as the faint screams of Wanda registered in her mind, that Pietro was gone, and Arabella couldn't save him. She blamed herself.

     Guilt, panic, and regret seeped through her veins, which appeared to have a violet glow. Steve and Thor watched pitifully as the girl stumbled through the streets slightly behind them. But when her eyes darkened with a passion, they slowly backed away from the youngest Maximoff.