twenty

for the past week, johnny had been flirting relentlessly with taeyong, and doyoung was forced to witness most of his cheesy one-liners. after a few days, though, taeyong suddenly gained a boost of confidence, flirting right back at johnny and making him flustered on occasion.

johnny never got flustered.

doyoung was sitting with johnny and yuta in the library, working on whatever homework they had. yuta was aware of the situation, but didn't seem to be affected much at all ("he has a crush on johnny?" he had said; there was a look of mild confusion, but then a shrug and the conversation switched to something else).

"so how's the taeyong thing going?" yuta asked, typing something on his computer.

johnny looked up and thought about it for a few moments, tapping his chin with his pen. "it's ... going. i need to be honest, though."

"what? do you regret what you're doing?"

"no! no, not at all, but ..." as he trailed off, a light blush dusted his cheeks, and doyoung and yuta's eyes widened as they looked at each other.

doyoung was the first to speak. "you don't mean—"

"i do."

"oh my god."

"wait," yuta started, "isn't this a good thing? if he likes you, and you like him, then it works out!"

"yeah, but i didn't mean to like him that fast! it's only been a week!"

"you did know him for a few years beforehand," doyoung muttered. "so then what are you gonna do?"

"i ... don't know. the whole plan was to let him confess first," johnny said quietly.

yuta frowned a little, then snapped his fingers. "maybe he still can confess first."

"i doubt he would."

"we just need to give him a little motivation, johnny. you can host another party this friday. we'll play the truth or dare game again, and then one of us can ask him if he likes you."

"i dunno. he might just get embarrassed."

"it's still worth a shot ... i doubt he'll confess any other way."

for everyone's sake, doyoung hoped yuta was right.

•••••

"johnny's hosting a party this friday."

"... good for him?"

"don't you wanna go?"

"no."

"taeyong!"

doyoung slammed his cup down on the island, making taeyong jump. "what?"

"you? not going to a party? unheard of."

"i'm a changed person, doyoung."

"you're going to the party."

"doyoung—"

"lee fucking taeyong." taeyong's mouth immediately shut. "listen to me. you remember when the deadline for the dare was about to end, and i didn't wanna go to the party?"

"yeah."

"you remember why i didn't wanna go?"

"because you're a coward ... ?"

"taeyong."

"sorry," he mumbled. "because you didn't wanna face jaehyun?"

"exactly. you don't wanna go to the party because you don't wanna face your crush, but if you don't take this opportunity, who knows when you'll be able to confess?"

"you're right."

"plus, if you never tell them how you feel, how are you supposed to know whether they like you back or not? maybe they're in the same boat as you, and they're waiting for you to make the first move."

doyoung intended to be vague, but realized that by the end, he was describing johnny.

"yeah ... okay. you've convinced me. i'll go."

"and you'll confess then?"

"well—" doyoung gave him a warning look. "i'll try. how's that?"

"good enough for me."

later that night, doyoung lied in bed, staring up at the ceiling while he was on the phone with jaehyun. "so he's coming?"

"yeah. if he doesn't confess then, i don't know what we're supposed to do."

"convince johnny to make the first move?"

"why does it feel like we have to do all the dirty work for these two?" jaehyun laughed a little, and doyoung felt his heart skip a beat. speaking of confessions ... "hey, jaehyun?"

"yeah?"

"can i tell you something?"

"anything." doyoung was quiet for a minute, and then he blurted it out, his hand flying over his mouth afterwards as his face began to heat up. jaehyun was silent, but when he spoke again, he could tell he was smiling.

"i love you too, doyoung. sleep well."

there was a click, and doyoung set his phone down on his nightstand, smiling like a fool as he closed his eyes.

doyoung was wholeheartedly, undoubtedly in love with jaehyun.