Father's Day Special

Evening sky. The large office building. A man is working with his computer very attentively. his assistant is helping him. After half an hour, they stopped and breathed in relief.

Jichen,  "So that's it for today. I will email it to the president. It's late. Return home safely."

The assistant bowed to him and said, '"Okay, sir."

Suddenly the assistant's phone ringed. He picked it up. After a while, he smiled. Jichen wondered so he asked, "What's the matter?"

The assistant smiled and said, "It's my wife. She messaged that my son and daughter prepared a big suprise for me in Father's Day, so not buying cake beforehand."

JIchen smirked, "It's good. Remember to be as much as surprised as you can. Haha."

The assistant laughed too.

Jichen is driving his car right now. then he thought of something. Tomorrow is Father's Day. once he prepared many surprises when he was a child. But he doesn't have a father anymore. He remembered he and his mother would always scold the man for smoking too much. It's not like his father died because of that bad habit. He died from an accident. At that time, he felt too much lonely. His mother always tried hard not to sadden him. So Jichen would also not complain to sadden her. But both of them understand clearly but was always silent.

But it's not the problem now. It's about his niece. She neither had a mother not a good father. She's just eight years old. Though she doesn't show her sadness like before but he's worried. Her friends would gossip about how they spend the Father's Day. The markets would sell special things and the TV channels would also do some programmes. Thinking like that Jichen returned to his home. He parked the car and entered the house. 

............

The day came at last. However they all are acting normal in the family. His niece is also normal. Jichen is wondering. He's is reading while sitting on the sofa. However only he knows he isn't reading at all. He's peeking outside to see his niece's behaviour. Jichen's mother couldn't be silent anymore.

Jichen's mother, "If you're worried, you should talk to her."

Jichen turned and sighed, "I don't know how to. Her case is worse than mine and she's silent too. I'm worried. "

Her mother got up and sat beside him then patted his back.

His niece is playing as usual but only in the yard.

.......

Evening sky turned to night sky. However, she's silent from this morning. It's scaring Jichen. Even last year wasn't like this.

Then he remembered something. He once read that loveless children can easily become a psycho. He cursed at him for remembering so late.
He got up at last. Whatever it is, he has to talk to the child. He can't be an ignorant uncle. Finally determined, he went to her room with the heaviest steps of his life. But she isn't there.

Then Jichen found him in the living room watching TV. He slowly sat beside her. Then noticed it's a program on Father's Day. His niece is watching silently. What a quiet and scary environment!

Her niece noticed him then hugged him from beside.

Niece, "Uncle. "

Finally the child said something. He also hugged her back. He's yet to think what he should say. Advices like a monk, consoling words like a good relative or tempting her with various things like a babysitter.

As Jichen was thinking, his niece looked at him and said,

"Uncle, I want to ask something. "

Jichen, "Hm?"

Niece, "If someday my father comes to take me back, will you hand me over?"

Jichen stunned. After a brief silence he said,

"No."

Niece, "Even he pleas on his knees?"

Jichen again said with pressure,

"Never."

His niece looked away however didn't broke the hug. Jichen reflected on what he said. He then slowly said,

"Do you... miss him?"

His niece laughed and playfully said,

"No."

An unexpected reaction from a child. What is happening?

Jichen again asked, "Then why did you ask?"

Niece, "I just wondered. "

When Jichen sighed and turned around, his niece again said,

"Uncle behaves like my dad. You also take care of me like that. Should I.. give you something in this day?"

Jichen again becomes speechless. What a heavy atmosphere.

His niece broke the hug, got up and took out something. It's a medium size gift blue box. She handed it to him.

Niece, "It's just a sign of my appreciation to uncle. Uncle doesn't have to become my dad if it troubles you."

Seeing her uncle still speechless, she added, 

"Uncle doesn't have to always worry about me. I can take care of myself now. I don't want to trouble you."

Jichen now finally looked at her properly. Her face isn't dejected or happy... It's similar to the expressionless face Jichen shows outside.

"Pfft... hahaha... "

Jichen laughed. Her niece stared at him blankly.

Jichen, "Hahaha.... 8 years old bunny trying to be mature... haha.."

Hearing this, her niece said with reddened cheeks,

"So what? Did you expect me to be a spoiled princess?"

Seeing her uncle still laughing, she pouted and turned her hand around.

She mumbled, "What's so funny about it?"

Jichen finally stopped his laughing.

Jichen, "It's not funny. "

Then he placed his hand on her head, grabbing her attention.

He patting her and said, "But distancing yourself from your family isn't being mature. We're here to listen your every little things. You should trouble us more so you don't need to cry in front of others. Scolding from us is better than their mocking laughter. When you're all big then you naturally won't trouble us. "

Hearing this his niece nodded with gleaming eyes.

Jichen, "I can't be your father. But we can be closer to each other with just this uncle- niece relationship. "

He added, "So I gladly accept this~"

The little child then hugged him again. The scary environment turned to a warming one...

His mother came out from behind and said she ordered a cake.

That night was full of laughter and happiness. After that, Jichen went to his room for sleep and his niece followed her. They both laid on the bed. Jichen patting her head started telling a story just like back then his sister did to him. After that both of them fell asleep.

His niece wrote this on her diary tomorrow. This day matters to her very much. It's a new warming story that will always accompany her throughout her life......

Hi, this the Author. Father's day said goodbye long ago. But I couldn't update earlier because my phone was damaged.

This is my silly protagonist's one of the story in his actual life... however Jichen is now ShenLing and didn't saw her niece for fucking 3 YEARS!

Well, no worries. It's a punishment after all...

ShenLing : ...... (wow🤜)