The Devil And His Plan

If you're currently at this part of the book, you might think it's the story of a band of righteous, justice-seeking individuals – magic-wielding and magical alike – who face the dangerous threat of a man who's no longer fully one, but fragments and loose ends of what used to be human, and now isn't.

This is a misguided thought.

This is the story of Aurora Hawkins; an ambiguous character, appearing briefly in the book of others, and more often than not as the antagonist. Don't be fooled by her current quest fighting on the side of the angels for the greater good, it is only a chapter in the book of Aurora. Read this to remember; Aurora the Creature was born innocent, but she was moulded into a monster, and for many chapters, she was unequivocally, irrefutably –

– the villain.

◤━━━━━━━━━━━◥

"Why won't it come off?"

Roddy Westfield was the first boy Aurora the Creature killed.

Here's how it went down.

Meeting Roddy.

His name was actually Richard, but he claimed it made him want to shove the neck of a broken bottle down his throat because he was named after 'this old minger' – to say in his own words. His mother's brother who was now in prison, on charges he may or may not have committed. He didn't like being called Richie either, because it made him sound like a tosser, and Dick just spoke for itself. Aurora knew all of this because he told her. He was always talking, Roddy, he really was. It was a trick to get him quiet. When normal people got nervous, they paced or sweated or got a nervous jitter in their limbs. Roddy talked.

It was on a rainy day that Aurora had met him, in an obscure town in Wales, one so obscure that Aurora didn't even bother to learn how to pronounce the name of. It was the sheer inconspicuousness of this small town with its telephone wires and grey-bricked buildings that had her staying there for three weeks.

It was raining. Aurora had ducked into a pub. That had been her first mistake.

When you walk into a pub in a town where everyone knows each other, everyone's parents and grandparents knew each other, it takes two minutes and thirty seconds for the people inside to recognize you as an outsider, and another minute for them to become increasingly interested in who you are.

That is when you disappear. Vanish. And it's very easy to when you've done it so many times you feel as though you could turn to dust and blend into the shadows whenever you feel like it. So that is exactly what Aurora did, she disappeared from their view.