Dear Brother

Rewritten

Dawn had started to fall; the inky blackness of the sky was being dominated by shades of blue and gold. Step by step, the sky became lighter, and long-forgotten was the darkness that beheld the vast emptiness before.

The couch could barely fit Aurora's frame let alone Hamilton's as well, but that didn't matter to them when they arrived. Aurora had sat down and pulled her legs up and Hamilton had promptly rested his head on her lap and stretched out, exhaustion catching up with him. Aurora didn't mind, usually, she was the one who used him as a pillow so it was a nice change.

Golden Boy's flat was as good as it could get for a university student who didn't share the rent with a roommate. The blue paint was fading and there was a small damp patch on the ceiling, but it was cosy. The kitchen and living room were separated by a simple bar acting as a table and there was only one bedroom with a bathroom attached to it. That was about it, except he also had a tiny terrace with a wall-sized window, and fairy-lights woven into the ledge.

Aurora couldn't help but smile at them. As a child, she'd declared over and over to Hamilton that she would have fairy-lights in her house whenever she got one. She claimed that they were like stardust, therefore, she would have them.

Seems like Hamilton hadn't forgotten that wish.

Part of Aurora wondered why her brother didn't get a fancier place to live, after all when he turned eighteen, he gained legal access to both their mother's and father's bank accounts. Sure, there probably wasn't much in it, nothing at all impressive, but probably enough for him to rent at least a better place, at least somewhere more accommodating, but she supposed that the more expensive it looked, the more suspicious and apparent, the more unwanted attention he attracted to himself.

Besides, the entire place screamed Hamilton.

Books were scattered across the floor, some were left on odd pieces of furniture opened to the page he was reading. Empty coffee cups littered the tables and there were plates used as palettes for his canvases, some of which were hung on the walls or propped up against them. Aurora didn't know that he'd started to dabble in painting again, but she was happy about it nonetheless, Golden Boy had a way of creating magic on a canvas, despite being a Muggle.

Let's not forget the giant monstrosity of a record player that he no doubt purchased from a vintage store, alongside the records.

Aurora's wings ached and were turning numb from being laid on, but the winged girl didn't dare move. It was rare that she had moments like this with her brother, she cherished it despite the lack of blood flow.

Her fingers softly ran through his blond locks, the hair she'd envied most of her life. Golden Boy with his golden hair.

When Aurora was a child, she had many fanciful thoughts, such as fairy lights were stardust and the ocean was a portal and flowers gossiped and Hamilton had golden hair because he stole from the sun.

At the time she'd said these with all the conviction of a toddler who was isolated from the world, and Hamilton had nodded his head and agreed with everything she'd said.

Of course, at some point after a few astronomy lessons her brother gave her, she became aware that it was quite impossible to steal from the sun, but the former belief became a running joke between them.