Secrets And Stories

"Open it."

"Demetrius Hawkins. . .your relative?"

"The Thin Man."

"He wants to speak to you."

"He wants to meet me, in real, he's been trying to for a while now."

"This isn't his first letter, is it?"

"Not by a long shot,"

"Well, what does he want from you?"

"A soldier."

***

Her eyes stared outside. A cold breeze blew in through the small rectangular window above that couldn't fully close, it fluttered through her hair. Her fingers stirred the teaspoon in the cup absentmindedly, black tea, no milk, with three sugars, just how she liked it. There were crows perched on a telephone pole outside, they crowed ominously. Inside, Linus pecked at the table he was on with his beak, an opened letter next to his bowl of treats.

Aurora's gold and coal eyes stared outside, searching, waiting, her hand picked up the pace, they would come, she knew they would, she was sure, they would not tolerate such disobedience-

"-Rora stop it." A strong grip seized her hand, making the teaspoon fall into the cup with a loud plop.

She turned her face to Alyosha, tracing the rim of the cup with her fingers and finding a chip near the handle, focusing her finger on it. Light blue eyes stared concernedly at her, partly hidden under platinum blond curls, he hadn't cut his hair in a while now, he hadn't asked her, this was the longest she'd seen it grow.

"What is the matter?" Alyosha asked, noticing her distracted gaze.

Aurora turned back to the window, dismissing the urge to brush aside the locks currently obscuring his view, and brought her cup up to her lips.

"We are being traced, Alyosha," she murmured.

Alyosha stiffened, tense shoulders brushing against hers as he turned to look outside the window, peering into the dimly lit street below. Strangers passed in groups and alone, some hurrying to their flats, others holding onto each other in fear of falling down, drunk and heading home. Now and then a car drove by, and the shops across from them were empty, but Alyosha could detect no one.

"I don't see them," He muttered, eyes flicking from between the streets.

"It would be impressive if you could," Aurora said, "we are not being spied on by an amateur,"

She focused her eyes on a point, contemplating it before she swivelled around and headed for the table. "Have a cuppa," she pushed a cup in Alyosha's direction.

Her broad companion was watching her, lips pulled down in a frown. "Who is the spy?"

"Someone who works for someone who needs something from us, which could be anyone with a pair of wings, so let's not dwell on it, shall we," she stroked a finger into Linus' feathers. "Have a cuppa," she repeated.

Alyosha's eyes flicked from the Linus the messenger Hawk to her.

"Another letter?"