Chapter Three: Like A Can Of Sprite

Day 5:

💜💜💜💜💜

Leila sat at the kitchen counter pouring the remnants of the blue wax into a jar. Being her day off she used the time to work on a batch on candles she was hoping to get to some mom and pop shops in town. With any luck they'd love them and want to keep restocking in the future. Working full time while also trying to pick this business off the floor was proving to be extremely time consuming. Sleep was beginning to become a distant memory.

She placed the blue candles to the side and started on a rose scented batch. As she set up the double boiler and poured her wax flakes into a metal bowl, she heard the front door open. Leila peeked into the living room over the passe-plat to find Liz taking off her jacket.

"Hey," Leila called out and directed her attention back to the stove. She could feel her heart rate rise in anticipation. Did Liz give him the candy? Did he take it? Did he like it? Did he think her note was witty? Did it even matter?

It's not like she'd ever see him again.

Liz stepped into the kitchen and took a deep inhale through her nose. "It smells like clean laundry in here!" Her nose followed in the direction of the smell to the blue candles. "Oh, I love this one! Can I have one?" Liz held a candle up to her nose and inhaled again, her eyes rolling back in exaggeration. Leila snatched the candle out of her hand but secretly happy with the reaction the candle brought out of her sister.

"No, you cannot. I'm taking these to that little bath store down town to see if I can sell them there."

Liz pouted and took a seat at the counter.

Leila watched the wax melt in the metal bowl, too afraid that if she looked at Liz she'd be begging her to tell her what happened today.

"Aren't you going to ask me?" Liz asked from behind her.

"Ask what?" Leila feigned uninterested and pulled the bowl off the double boiler.

"If I gave your little boyfriend the candy." She teased.

Leila shrugged. "Doesn't really matter now."

"It doesn't matter?! You had me risk my job today and now it doesn't matter, Leila?!"

"Oh, please you're exaggerating."

"No, I'm not. He wasn't alone. There was another guy there who saw me give it to him."

That made Leila feel like shit. She had put her sister's job on the line because she was acting on a whim.

Leila turned to her sister. "You're right. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have made y-"

"Okay, so ask me what happened!" Liz bounced excitedly in her chair like she hadn't just been coming at Leila. That was Liz. Always forgiving and always quick to move on. "He asked about you!" She smiled widely and brought her fingers up, wiggling them in excitement.

Leila felt butterflies take flight in the pit of her stomach. "Really?" She could feel the smile tugging at her lips as much as she tried to control it.

"Oh, what happened to it doesn't matter?" Liz drawled.

"What did he say?" Leila sat beside her sister, melted wax long forgotten.

Liz filled her in on what had happened and even though the thought of him smiling and laughing at her small gift brought her a weird form on giddiness, she quickly remembered that that was the last of it.

Kim Namjoon was smart, well spoken, and overtly handsome. She'd gathered that much from a her short Google search. He wasn't just a guy at a bar and even if he was. Their lives would always be worlds apart.