Chapter Twenty Four: You Know A Jackie?

"Joon!" Leila called again pulling the eggs off the stove. "It's almost seven thirty!" The man was exceptionally late today and now he was running around like a chicken with his head cut off.

"I'm coming!" He stumbled into the kitchen while clumsily pulling his grey hoodie over his head. "Shoot," He started to feel around his body. "Where's my phone?" He turned around in place like the phone was going to appear out of thin air.

"Here, eat before you leave." Leila spooned eggs and a piece of toast onto a plate and placed it in front of him on the counter.

"Lei, I can't, I'm so late." But he still went in for the plate and stuffed his mouth with a couple spoonfuls of eggs. "My phone." He mumbled through mouthful.

Leila felt tugging on her pajamas pants and found Mia with her arms up, asking to be picked up. In her left hand, Namjoons phone. She pulled it out her hand after picking her up and handed it to him.

"Thank you!" He held the piece of toast between his lips as he threw his messenger bag over his shoulder. He pulled the toast away. "I'll see you over there." Namjoon stepped forward and gave Mia a peck on the cheek, then quickly kissed Leila on the side of her head without so much as a second thought.

They both froze where they stood, staring at eachother with wide eyes. The action flowed out of him so naturally that he had almost forgotten that it wasn't a normal thing to do. "Uh," he tried to think of a way to justify his action.

"It's fine, just go!" She dismissed him by softly pushing his shoulder. "You're two hours late." Namjoon turned without a word and hurried to slip on his shoes.

"Where are my sneakers?" He asked looking for the pair he had left on the mat by the door the night before.

"In the shoe rack, Mia kept trying to put them on."

Namjoon looked where she told him and stepped into the shoes before practically running out the door.

Leila inhaled deeply, trying to still her wildly beating heart. She never thought a simple act of affection like that one would make her so breathless.

As she assessed the scene that had just played out she realized that she had began to do things that she promised herself she never would.

Although being a mother was never part of her plan, it had happened, and she loved it but what she was catching herself doing now was extremely unlike her. Making someone dinner, making sure he ate before leaving for work, knowing where his things were; that wasn't the Leila she left back in New York. She didn't even want to think about the fact that she had done his laundry along with hers and Mia's.

Things were changing and it was partly due to the effort he was putting in since the visit to his parents house. The night before was one that showed her just how hard he was trying. He came home late from work, ate the food she made even if it was horrible, and played with Mia until she fell asleep. Afterwards, he went into his room and she heard him working on music until late into the night. It probably would've been so much easier and less tiring to just stay at the studio but he came home for Mia, for both of them.

As much as Leila wanted to fight her feelings for him, they were there. Running rampant and carefree as if by their own accord and she couldn't do a thing to stop it.

So the changes that were occurring, ones she claimed she would never make, she didn't actually hate. So she was a becoming a little domesticated, so what? Maybe she needed to change.

💜

As promised, Leila sent Yoongi a picture of Mia in the play pen playing with her toys. He couldn't help but smile at how cute she was. Due to the conversation he had had with Namjoon the night before, he opted to just send Leila an emoji. It was wrong for him to even have her number now. He should actually start distancing himself. After seeing Namjoon's face and hearing his words, it was clear to Yoongi that his best friend was falling head over heels. He would never stand in the way of that.