Chapter Twelve: Baby Steps

It'd been a week since Leila had last spoken to Namjoon, but she knew the lawyers call was coming. The results had arrived that evening but she had no reason to open the email. She wasn't worried about the results. That was more of his problem than hers really.

Had she been a nervous wreck all week? Yes, and rightfully so. She was allowing him the opportunity to be a father but it didn't mean she trusted him. If he decided that he wanted to keep Mia, he probably could. He had the means to do so. Leila just had to hoped that wasn't the case.

Mia deserved a fair chance at having both of her parents. Leila didn't have either and she believed her life would've been alot better if she would've. No one was there to protect her or love her but Mia could have all of it if he agreed to be there.

Around ten pm while Leila was getting ready to put Mia down, her phone rang and she was bit surprised to see the name on the screen. She was sure her lawyer would be the one contacting her. After all, they made her sign an NDA before Namjoon took his DNA test. She wasn't a fan of the contract but she signed it for Mia.

Leila was never to tell anyone that Namjoon was the father of her child. She could not imply or hint that she was associated with him in any way. She could not post anything on social media that may give away their relationship or share any conversation they may have or had. She was in other words sworn to confidentiality and secrecy. Which is why she assumed he would keep their contact at a minimum and communicate with the lawyer for anything that had to do with Mia.

But she was wrong; there he was, video calling her again.

Does he not make regular calls?

Leila's nerves once again got the best of her as she answered the call. Would it always be like this? Like she was walking on eggshells everytime he called?

The screen opened up to a brightly lit space with him leaning against a black wall.

"Hey." He offered her a small smile that he was obviously forcing. His eyes were blood shot and tired, bags, heavy under both his eyes.

"Hey." Leila took a seat on her bed, deciding that walking around on shaky legs was a bad idea.

"You have some time to talk? I know it's kind of late over seas."

"Yeah, I was just about to put Mia down for the night."

Namjoon gave Leila a sad smile. "How is she?"

Leila was a little taken aback by the question. "She's good. She's in her crib with a bottle. " It was awkward having that kind of conversation with him. She never thought it would happened.

Namjoon nodded slowly. "Did you get the email?" He swallowed hard and frowned. She knew that look. It was the same one she had when she found out she was pregnant. He was terrified.

"I did."

"Did you open it?"

Leila shook her head."That was for you, not for me."

Namjoon took a deep breath and looked up at the bright lights of the dance studio. He didn't know how to say everything he needed to say. He wanted to apologize for not being there, he wanted to tell her he was going to step up, he wanted to ask if he could see Mia. It just all felt so unnatural to him.

Leila could see him struggling to grasp the situation. Truthfully, she had had eight months to prepare for Mia's arrival. Namjoon had a week to wrap his head around becoming a father.

Namjoon finally looked back down at her with glossy eyes. "I'm sorry, Lei."

He's made a decision.