Chapter 34

The declaration collided with her reasoning. Unwillingness set the course in her mind, but a voice dug deep in her heart that this was genuine. She remembered what Roman had told her at the riverbank and then while they were dancing. His words did not feel foreign to her, but now felt as real as anything she had ever heard before. But still, the question remained... Was he for certain, on her side, or playing the role of a foe in sheep's clothing.

"He will continue to lead you astray," the words of the angel from her first vision entered her mind, and then Hazel's words met her mind as well, "you must pay heed to your foes."

"Temperance, did you hear me?" Violet asked, her brows furrowed.

When Temperance looked puzzled, Violet moved to say. "You were zoning out there for a second."

"I'm sorry, what?" Temperance said absently.

"I said the tide seems to be turning, my friend. All the pieces are starting to line up."

"This is very unordinary, Violet."

"So are you," Violet responded frankly, looking over to her friend before the driver opened the door.

Both girls exited, and Temperance took out a fifty dollar bill and tipped him. It was the least she could do since Lilly had arranged their transportation. When the car left, pulling out onto the main shoulder of the road, the driver dialed a number, all the while glancing in his rearview mirror, sensing the cloak of protection on the house that had not been present until now.

"Violet," Temperance turned, noticing Violet lingering with her on the walkway.

"Go home," Temperance pointed to Violet's house.

"Oh okay," Violet huffed, taking out her house key from her clutch.

"I'm a big girl, remember."

"I know," Violet answered. "But aren't you a little afraid of everything now? Don't you want the company?"

Temperance deliberated that for a second, and then confirming the thought of being alone would serve her better in all of this. She was more open to her visions then, just as she always had been. And if the visions did come again, as they had been these past couple of days, she was better at dissecting them when she was solo. As for anything else, well, she would deal with it however it came.

"I'm fine, I promise," she smiled assuredly, sounding fearless.

Temp leaned in and kissed her friend on the cheek, both girls walking in different directions home. Temperance's house looked deserted as usual, and as she turned the silver key to the front door, something in her peripheral vision caught her attention. She turned her head to the left, slowly in doing so. The swing was swaying on its own, steadily at a controlled rhythm, a lulling motion she thought, soft and gentle as if the wind had picked up the wood and rocked it with its veiled strength.

She blinked, the amber of her eyes narrowing at it, seeking to sort out the source. She stepped back from the door then, leaving the key still in its keyhole, and stepped closer. Still, the swing moved, just like a pendulum would, confident in its mark and the speed of its chosen momentum.

There was no breeze that wafted the night. Now, there was only a cool air mixed in with a bit of humidity that was stagnant and layered with a heavy thickness. The steps of her feet were prepensely slow, but the wood creaked under them, causing the sound to be invasive and eerie. She swallowed lightly, not out of fear, but because she was certain something was in her presence. No, she could not see it; she only felt its uninvited company surrounding her.