Chapter 45

Roman clinched his jaw, and for a moments breath he had the inclination to ignore the Power that had entered the room. He wanted to forget his duty and succumb to the want that was brewing between them. To simply surrender fully to her, fall into the depths of Temperance's eyes ¾ watch the desire flood into her again, just like the night of the ball.

This time he wanted to lead, take her into his arms, hold her tight to him until the kaleidoscope of disarray in their lives vanished. He looked from the silhouette of the young angel and then to Temperance again; a blizzard of feelings intoxicating his soul.

She remained unaware of what had entered, as she should, because this Power was unknown to her, and would remain so until the task was complete.

The whisper of her breath and the chilling silence in the kitchen created a moment of clarity on what was happening. They were at a precipice of sorts. Both faced a duty far beyond the normal human task, and neither was permitted to tie the seams of their hearts together. They were facing a choice. So soon after meeting and saving her at the ball, did Roman feel the flickering of something he had never before felt with a woman, until now.

He understood full and well what it was, and hell, he wanted it. He was the type of man that knew what he wanted and took whatever he desired. But this time, he thought, a low growl sitting in the back of his throat, he would have to fold on a hand he never held.

He rubbed her chin still, lost in the exquisite beauty before him. He watched her eyes flutter open then, her long copper lashes dusting onto her pale cheeks, her face softening to him. He smiled, noticing the innocence that lay there. He realized in that brief moment of time why she was chosen so long ago, and saw why the Archfiend coveted her. She held a remarkable power that strummed through her like a hymn from a church choir. Yet, the humility, and bare human part of her was magnificently pure, like a field of untouched wild flowers.

He cast a glance of understanding to the Power, and dropped his hand.

"I want to tell you something, Temperance."

She licked her lips, stepping back, unsure.

"Okay..."

He nodded.

"About what?" She was confused, crestfallen that he didn't kiss her.

He tapped the edge of the counter then. "More than likely, you've not been privy to what I'm about to tell you, but since were already breaking the rules it seems, I figure what the hell."

She crossed her arms, impatiently waiting.

He rubbed the back of his neck, thinking for a moment, and then began. "I was told this when I was old enough to understand the stories spoken. Legends and such are endless here in Louisiana, as you very well know, so the story of a girl being born and given a duty to help the holy army wasn't necessarily shocking to the tribe," he stopped and turned, looking out the window then, noticing an older Power standing under the cypress tree, stately and very still.

He clinched his jaw, continuing on. "What I did find interesting is how that coal was stolen to begin with," he said, turning around.

She stepped further from him then, giving herself space, inches from Augustus, whom remained present.

"Go on."

"My people know of this tale because the angels from that realm sought their help. They required assistance from someone like me. Someone that was born with a gift, Temperance."

Her brow furrowed. "So you're not human, are you?" an odd expression in the heart of her eyes.

His lips formed a charming half smile. "I never said that."