Chapter 10

Temperance grabbed a bowl of grapes out of the fridge, sitting them on the counter top. She plopped one in her mouth, tasting the sweetness of their nectar. "I'm tired tonight."

Violet took a grape, eyeing her friend. "Well, we've had a long day. There is a lot going on with you."

"Yep. And I'm going to end it with a nice bath, and then I'm going to hit the hay."

Violet lifted her brow. "Temperance, you're almost twenty − two. It's pretty sad that a bath is that exciting."

She laughed. "I suppose it's because I'm just so overwhelmed. And with Mom gone now, I take care of everything myself."

"How is the book coming along?"

Temperance shifted her feet, leaning on the counter. "It's almost done," she shrugged her shoulder. "Without the inheritance I wouldn't have been able to devote this much time to it." She thought for a moment. Her mother set her up with a trust fund unbeknownst to her. It wasn't until her passing that she was made aware of the mass sum left to her, and the house to boot.

And now, because of that, Temperance could write that book she always dreamed of. Her mother knew it was Temperance's desire, and she made it happen. Even in death she was taking care of her.

"I cannot wait to read it," Violet said happily. "I want more scoop on your kind," Violet winked.

Temperance laughed. "You're funny. You already know everything there is to know," she took a glass from the cupboard and then walked to the sink, filling the glass with water. "You have been my best friend since we were little girls. You know more about my kind than anyone."

Violet pondered that for a second. "Still, I'm buying the book just in case. It's not every day that my best friend gets her book published. Oh, and Mom wants to have some in her store to sell."

Temperance smiled. "Well, the support is appreciated," she tilted her head. "I'd like to hear more about your kind too!" she laughed.

"Aah, we're the cream of the crop, baby. Reading people's thoughts and being a persuader, is something that will rock your ever loving world," Violet winked and continued.

"What are you up to tomorrow?" Violet asked, walking to the edge of the kitchen.

"Hmmm. Probably doing laundry, finishing a chapter or two, and then I have to run to the market." She grabbed the bowl of grapes, walking toward the hallway where Violet was now standing.

Violet sighed heavily. "That sounds incredibly boring," she said. "You know where I will be," she turned and walked to the front door then, "across the street working," she stopped, peering outside at the dark.

"Yes, I know," Temperance said,

"If you're interested, come over for dinner tomorrow night. Mama is making gumbo." She turned her head, looking at Temperance who was behind her now. "Let's head to Adelaide's and find costumes for the ball at some point tomorrow."

Violet opened the door then, holding onto the brass knob.

Temperance nodded, peering her eyes out to the night. "Okay, sounds good."

Violet stepped onto the wood porch, noting it creaked under her weight. "Night," waving her hand behind her.

Temperance watched Violet until she was safely across the way and in her house, then she closed the door and locked it behind her. A bath was in order. She crested the wooden steps that she walked up many a time. Sometimes she could hear her mother scoffing at her to be careful on them.