Chapter 19

While Temperance was sure it was nothing but love coming from the woman, she was most certainly not going to put on too much, she thought, as she watched Dee's back end wobble into aisle seven.

"Nope," she said to herself, as she pushed the cart in the opposite direction toward the produce.

She grabbed her necessary items, and a few extra goodies for snacks. When she got wrapped up in writing, she had a tendency to snack on crunchy things. Once the grocery store was definitively checked off her list of things to do, she headed home to unload and prep for another round of shopping with Violet. It would take forever, she thought, as Violet liked to dally, and Temperance liked to get in and get out. Temperance was more of an online shopper.

"Hey, over there," Violet hollered from across the street, as Temperance unloaded the groceries.

Temperance grabbed the bags and shut the trunk with her elbow, looking over. "Hey."

Violet crossed the street jogging, then stopped before Temperance, taking one of the bags out of Temperance's hands and proceeding up the sidewalk with her.

"You guys have been busy today," Temperance stated, unlocking the front door.

Violet entered behind her. "Yep," she shut the door with her foot. "We sold out of most of the herbal teas. One lady bought a hundred dollars worth of merchandise in five minutes."

"Mama's eyes lit up like a Christmas tree."

Temperance smiled, placing the groceries on the table. "I'm so glad, Violet. I was getting ready to offer any financial help if things didn't pick up over there."

Violet shook her head no, firmly. "Come on now. We would never accept money from you, Temperance. That is your inheritance −"

Temperance cut her off. "That Mama would want me to share with you two if needed," she said firmly, putting away the bread in the pantry.

"Besides, it's just money. And you all are my family."

Violet swopped in for a quick hug. "I know, and I appreciate it, but we are fine... I promise."

"All right, but you know where to knock if help is needed," she placed the last few things away in the refrigerator.

"What time do you want to head to Adelaide's?"

Violet shrugged, and then looked at her watch. "Let's say in about thirty."

With a smile, Temperance nodded okay. "But let's not take forever. It's just a costume ball Violet, it's not like it's a wedding."

Violet walked toward the door, stopping there, holding the knob. "Yes, but we must look smashing darling," she used her best British accent, and then closed the door behind her.

I guess, Temperance thought, nearly regretting agreeing to go to the thing.

"It will be good for me," she said to herself, opening the fridge, taking out some cheese and then going for the buttery crackers she just purchased. As she sliced the cheddar, she started thinking of who would be there at the ball. Then the song came in her head "The Freaks Come Out At Night," and she started to sing the tune, laughing at herself.

Later that afternoon, she and Violet were smack dab in the middle of Rue Royal Street, right where Adelaide's store was. This place was the go to spot for anything you wanted for Mardi Gras. Thank God that they knew Adelaide, because people would start ordering from her online store months before Mardi Gras even started; making it difficult to find a unique costume.