Chapter 39

He made her edgy. And even though he was forbidden to love her, he liked every bit of it. She wasn't supposed to be attracted to her protector, nor was he supposed to feel anything but duty toward her. He wouldn't betray the pledge, he reminded himself; regardless of how much their allure with one another was evident.

"Nice clean restrooms, Roman," Violet said from behind, walking toward the booth, then taking her seat beside of him now.

"Last time we were in here," her eyes searched Temperance's, thinking, "about three months ago or something like that, there was no toilet paper."

Roman smiled. "I've since relieved that crew. It's imperative that my entire establishment is well kept, and that includes the rest facilities. I will be sure to inform my staff that they're doing well."

Violet nodded. "Definitely do so. Are we ready to go?" she voiced to Temperance.

Temperance nodded, standing then, putting her purse over her shoulder.

Roman stood as well, and then proceeded to walk the girls toward the exit. "I'll be here if you need me. In the meantime I'd look into what you were directed to do, Temperance. If an angel is telling you this, then by God, just do it." The dictation of his voice was back, and it bloomed rigidness into Temperance again. She was glad to be going. The man simply was unpredictable.

They were at the door now, the rays from the sun warming the entryway of the bar. He pushed open the wood door, his arm holding it there for both Temperance and Violet to pass through before him. Once they had, he followed them outside.

"You'll be one step closer to finding what they need, and you will finally have it behind you." There was a roughness to his voice, almost a hint of fright.

"Then your life will fall back to some sort of normalcy again."

Temperance nodded in agreement. God she hoped so.

"What is with the sign, Roman?" Temperance lifted her chin in the direction of the angel that perplexed her.

He crossed his arms, looking up at his bar sign. "Nostalgia," he replied nonchalantly. A smile lifted on the left side of his mouth. Temperance looked at his lips, reliving how firm they were on hers the night before. How very erotic they were in motion with hers.

"Really?" Violet asked, interrupting Temperance's thoughts.

Violet narrowed her eyes at the sign of Angels & King then. "You have a yearning for happiness of a former place then?" she inquired.

He laughed deeply, the sound low and masculine. It glided like a soft kiss all over Temperance's body. She recalled that very sound last night at the ball.

There she went again. God, she wanted to leave.

"Perhaps," Roman said softly, his eyes shifting to Temperance then.

He brought his hand up to his chin, as if in thought. "I look at it as a protection of sorts. It makes me feel.... at home."

Temperance noted his elusiveness. His manner of answering was loaded with mystery, but so was everything else that had occurred in the last several days, so she decided, yet again, to not even press on the issue. That would have to be a topic for a different day, she thought.

"Well it's a damn good name for a bar," Violet said affably, her eyes still directed to the sign and image of the angel holding two chalices. "I always liked it. Now I feel connected, since I know the owner now."

Temperance was looking at Roman, and he her. The two seemed to be assessing each other in a very formal way, yet the echo of something forbidden spoke to them both right there on the street.