Chapter 15

Her fingers paused on the keyboard then, an instant blow of a memory flooding into her mind. Her eyebrows creased heavily with it, and her body took on a stance of quick defense. Her spine straightened rigidly in the leather chair, and her shoulders lined squarely. She took her glasses off and laid them on her desk, pinching the bridge of her nose, and then the vision ripped through her like a jagged knife...

Her amber eyes opened in awareness, and she suddenly felt the acceleration of her heart rate. Her mind exploded with the sight that was recently a stranger to her. It was quick frames of perception, like flashcards being presented hastily. But something was very different this time, she thought. She braced her hands on her wooden desk, feeling the hardness of the wood under her palms. The silver ring on her pinky finger made a small sound as she gripped the corner tightly.

The hair on the back of her neck stood up, as images came to fruition within her mind. There was nothing obscuring what she saw now. It was clear as rain on a summer day. She was surrounded by water. She felt the motion of its small swells under her feet. She wasn't certain precisely where she was, but she knew it was home. It was a smell that one could not deny. Home on the bayou, she thought.

She shook her head, trying to calm her nerves. Her eyes closed hard, and yes... she was a part of it... a solid instrument in the vision. Straining momentarily, she took a long deep breath and allowed her gift to open into that world. She stepped in carefully, not too anxious to receive it, as something was off. Something not quite right.

Gritting her teeth, she focused, allowing everything to flood into her. This was customary, but typically she wasn't in the folds of any vision she held. It was always others, or things that were about to occur. Catastrophic events; but not her... never her.

She was boring with her little life. Why so suddenly was she the nucleus of her vision?

The water just continued to ascend around her, growing deeper by the second. She could feel the cold touch of it on her calves and cresting up her thighs. The dress she was wearing was white, and when she looked down, it was sinking into the muddy water, turning a brownish color as she moved on. Her feet were being swallowed by the dense clay like mud under it, and the rise of panic set into the back of her throat.

"Do not be afraid," a woman's voice whispered.

Temperance heard the sweet sound, as if it were right next to her. She ceased walking and turned her head in the direction of the voice. But nothing was there but the swamp and the trees.

Her body began to quiver with fright, constricting her ability to continue to focus.

"He will continue to lead you astray, Temperance. Do not allow it." The voice held confidence and comfort.

The surge of something unknown, yet incredibly powerful, suddenly breached the center of her heart. She could feel the peak of its supremacy making home there.

"Stay focused," the voice reminded her.

Temperance studied her surroundings, not sure of why she was enveloped in this vision, or what it had relevance to, but she continued on, her eyes absorbing everything she could see.

"Calm yourself, Temperance," she murmured to herself, not really trusting her own voice.

Her breaths were shallow and quick, something that was not her nature in a vision. Fear seemed to be in every spec of her – consuming her like a merciless wildfire.

"Follow your instincts. Do not allow fear to obscure your sight."

Temperance jumped with the voice again, finding a peace within in its soft tone. She picked up her gown, grabbing it in the middle, trying to pull the fabric away from her wet skin.