Chapter 23

They both sifted through the old pages of the leather bound book, curiosity filling each of them. Finally, they came upon symbols and warnings of the Archfiend. "Oh man," Violet said, tapping her finger on the image depicted on the page, and then continuing.

"That's exactly what is on the crypts."

Temperance glanced at the monstrous beast, her eyes growing wide with astonishment. "It looks evil," she whispered, running her fingers over it.

The image was grotesque looking. The creature's head resembled a large lion, but black and red in color. Most definitely not a lion Temperance had ever seen before. It's tongue protruded outward from its gaping mouth, revealing sharp edged, razor like teeth. Its horns were black and pointed at the tips, rounded in the center, arching upward, the ends of them curved near the back of its spine. Its red eyes were bulging from its oval face, its expression clearly meant to deliver fear. Saddled upon its back was a black serpent thrusting from its right side, its reptile skin masked in red flame. Two separate entities forming one body.

"What the hell is that," Temperance declared, the image binding into the retina of her eyes.

"That thing gives me the creeps," Violet whispered, leafing through the page for the description.

"Oh, here it is," she announced, nearly pulling the book from the middle of the console.

"It says these creatures are mixed of various animal body parts," she looked at the image again and then to Temperance, "well that's obvious."

She peered closer at the words. "It moves on to say that this particular effigy is often disparaged by the mortals of Earth. The Chimera is used as a warning not to underestimate the Devil."

Temperance met Violet's eyes then. It seemed like the air had just been snuffed out of both their lungs.

"Then why in the hell are people scribbling it on gravestones?" Temperance asked tightly, and continued. "They hold no reverence for the dead!"

Violet went to close the book, but Temperance placed her hand on the page, inhibiting that. She lifted it up from the console and placed it in her lap, the hard leather weighing down on her thighs. Looking closer at the image, she tried to understand its meaning and why it would be placed on a tomb. Mardi Gras was crazy, but this was exceeding the norm for even it. Realizing she couldn't very well hash it out in her car with Violet, she decided to close it and place it back in her bag.

"Bring that tonight to show Mom," Violet got out of the car, grabbing her bags. "I can't wait to tell her about our day."

"I need to get to the graveyard, Violet," Temperance's voice showing genuine concern, a part of her wanting to beat the hell out of someone.

Sympathy poured into Violet's eyes. "Temp, there is nothing we can do tonight. Dusk is arriving." She looked up to the sky. "And with everything that is going on, the City of the Dead can wait till the morning, when the sun is out, don't you think?"

Temperance knew she was right. It would be much safer during the day. What could she actually accomplish at night anyway, she asked herself. Sighing out heavily, she agreed that morning would be best. "Okay, since tomorrow is the ball, I'll just go the day after."

She leaned in the car, grabbing her last bag. She felt sickened by this. Maybe giving it a couple days will give some time for the police to find out what is going on, she decided.