Chapter 40

Temperance and Violet turned around instantaneously to see a Father, adorned in the traditional cassock, and wearing black trousers. He was standing in the center aisle, his right hand holding the Bible, and his eyes clearly looking at the eye.

He was an older man, probably in his late sixties. He smiled kindly and walked toward them.

Without an introduction he stood next to them, his head tilting to the like of the eye.

"There are many that believe it is in relation to free masonry."

His voice was calm and soft, quite soothing to the ear. It held no prejudice or indifference. "However, many believe it is the sign of the Devil," he shrugged softly, and turned to look to Temperance, his soft brown eyes reminding her of Earth and everything warm.

"We Catholics believe it is the eye of God, watching over the deeds of us mortals here on Earth."

"That's the simple version," Violet murmured.

"It is the true version," the Father added for reassurance.

"And one that I agree with as well," Temperance added happily, extending her hand and introducing herself.

"What brings you here to this Parish?" He walked the few steps to the front pew and sat down.

Temperance grew comfortable instantly. She chose to sit on the same pew, but a small length away from him. She saw that he studied her with a peeked curiosity.

"Now that, Sir, is quite a story," Violet relayed, taking a seat on the stoop to the pulpit across from them.

"Please call me Alexander," the Father insisted.

He angled his head to the side and laughed lightly. "Humor me," he crossed his ankle over his knee and awaited a story. "Seems there is a purpose behind your visit, and the Lord decided to empty the church. The way I'm seeing this is that someone steered you in my direction today," he winked at Temperance. "You don't go rattling around with the way things pan out. Sometimes it is just to be."

Temperance blinked. He made perfect sense. She pressed her lips together, and then began the story as she knew it.

His eyes grew wide at times, then somber. Sometimes Temperance didn't even look. She just went on with what was occurring and didn't think twice about it. Yes, there was the possibility he would think she was borderline crazy, or he could yield to the idea and give her some holy advice.

She was hoping for the latter. Once she was finished, a Bible could have fallen from the choir loft and she didn't think that even then, the Father would move. He seemed thoughtful with what he was going to say.

She chewed on her lip, awaiting a response. Some sign of recognition of what she just conveyed.

He stood then, patting the Bible in his hand. He walked over to his pulpit, passing Violet's still seated frame. She raised her brow to Temperance, her eyes questioning what he was doing.

He shook his head a couple of times, and then whistling through his teeth, he whispered, "Now that is one hell of a story."

Temperance blushed. "It is true. I'm not speaking fallacies here," she replied with slight hesitance.

Father Alexander was nodding his head again, his eyes blinking several times in anxiousness.

"Well, then you are here because you need to know more of the Saint?" He placed his Bible down on the wood platform then and walked over to Temperance, choosing to sit closer to her now.