~Chapter 27~

Narrator POV

After minutes of just sitting around, talking, and just enjoying each other's company, Jake and Drew finally decide to 'practice'. Drew sat up from laying across Jake's chest, reaching for the brown guitar leaning on the wall. 

 Jake smirked as he sat up as well, prepared to listen to whatever tune Drew was going to play. "Do you think I should..?" Drew asked, looking at Jake with soft eyes. Jake nodded, plastering a bright smile. Drew returned the smile, turning to the guitar in his arms. Drew took a deep breath and caressed each side of the guitar gently, his fingers overlapping the strings as his hand draped over the base. 

 You can do this.. He thought, as he slowly began to strum the cords. He wasn't playing any song in particular, just any random tune that flowed into his head. His eyes slid close as he began to slip into another world. He hadn't done this in so long, he forgot how happy it truly made him.

 Drew felt a small smile tug at his lips as his fingers slid across the strings. Jake watched as Drew played the wooden instrument. Jake scanned over his facial features, taking note of how happy and content he looked. Jake felt his cheeks heat up at his soft smile. 

Before Drew knew what he was doing, a soft hum escaped his lungs filling the air with a touch of a beautiful voice. The sound shot right into Jake's heart, filling his stomach with butterflies. It was like nothing he had ever heard before. Just the small bit of Drew's voice that was dancing through the air made Jake's heart do flips. He longed so much to hear Drew's voice play through his ears. If humming was that beautiful, what did is actual voice sound like? 

 As Jake was trying to imagine how amazing his voice would sound he found himself zoning out, gazing at Drew's face admiring every little aspect of it. 

 But suddenly.. 

 His question was answered. 

 --- 

 As Hailey trotted home, Zander in close pursuit, she felt.. Content. She had been feeling it all day since kicking Jake out. Her heart stung with the ever-growing guilt in her gut. Her mind kept replaying the scene in her head over and over. The look on Jake's face before he ran out nearly broke her. She had never seen him so hurt before. What had she done..? But it was the right thing to do. He didn't really care for the club. ..Right? 

 Zander noticed the contemplative expression his step sibling wore, and placed a hand on her shoulder. Hailey jumped at the feeling, but eased realizing who it was. "Hey, you alright?" Zander asked softly. Hailey nodded, giving him a reassuring smile. "Okay, but if anything is wrong you know you can talk to me." 

The aura around the two grew silent once more. Normally Luke would be walking alongside the two siblings, but he had to stay back to help tutor some kids in the grade behind, Milly being one of them. 

Hailey's thoughts swirled in her head like a tornado. She didn't know what was right or wrong. Before she knew it they were at their house. She smiled at being free from her thoughts for a while. She could play with her sister or annoy Zander, maybe help her step-mother with baking.

The relief that washed over Hailey as she stepped into the cozy house was the best thing ever. A smile tugged at her lips as she heard a familiar voice call out, "Hailey! Alex!" Before the step siblings knew it, they were both in a tight embrace by their younger sister. "Bethany, what did I say about calling me Alex?" Zander groaned. "Sorry, Alex."