7 - the contest

We started walking, but something wasn't right, we weren't talking at all! Usually I go into panic mode when I'm with other people and it gets silent... and that was the case, so, what could I do...? I could just ask him some things about himself.

"So, Kacchan" I turned to face him while we kept walking "how's your surfboard?"

"It's an old board my friend Kirishima bought me, we decorated it together in a simple way, I don't really like showy things, so it's black with an orange x on it"

"That's so cool! When did you start surfing?"

"Around 4, maybe 5? I saw a contest, I thought it was cool and I wanted to look cool too, gotta say, I succeded" we laughed a little, but then the silence returned again.

"And..." I started thinking "do you have any brothers or sisters?"

"No, fortunately I gotta say, my mom is already annoy-"

I started talking before he could finish "and what about animals, have you got any animals?"

"Uhm, no, I was thinking of getting a dog but-"

I started rambling on as per usual, I couldn't even hear his words anymore "what about friends? Medical history? Social security number?"

"Woah, calm down little one, I know I'm awesome and you want to know me so badly but take it one step at a time"

I realized what happened and started getting red from embarrassment.

"Oh my god, I'm sorry, sometimes I just space out and everything goes blank and then I stop hearing others voices and you know everything just-"

He stopped me for a second time "You're doing it again, also, pole"

Pole? What was he talking abou-

He quickly yanked me towards himself to save me from banging my head into a telephone pole I had right in front of me.

PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY!! WHY AM I LIKE THIS?!

"You can let go now, there's no more pole" I noticed I was clutch on his shirt with my face buried in his chest.

"Oh my god, yeah, s-sorry" GOD WHY

15 minutes later

While we were walking along the coastline I heard a booming voice coming from around half a mile away from us.

"ARE YOU REAAAADY PEOPLE OF HERO NO HAMAAA?!
BECAUSE THIS WILL BE A BLAAAAST WELCOME TO THIS AMAZING SUUUUUURF COMPETITION, I'M PRESENT MIC AND I'LL BE THE VOICE FOR THIS EVENT TOGETHER WITH MY GOOD OLD FRIEND AIZAWA"

I could barely hear the hint of a voice from someone who gave out the impression of not wanting to be there...

"Yeah, surf, whatever"

"TODAY'S LINEUP WILL BE INCREDIBLE, OUR SURFERS ARE ALMOST READY AND OUR STAND IS RIGHT HERE, 3 DOLLARS FOR A BOTTLE OF WATER, OOOOOH YEAAAAH"

I faced Kacchan clearly confused, he giggled and told me he knew the guy and he was just a bit energetic...

"You know the rules of a surf competition?" I shook my head, it was my first time seeing one, so... no, I had never heard them.

"Well, each surfer can ride a maximum of ten waves, but the judges will vote only the two best ones, and..." I nodded and pulled out a small notebook I had in my pocket.

"What are you doing?" He looked at me like I was crazy, but for me it was absolutely normal to take notes about interesting things...

"Taking notes...?"

"Why the fuck should you take notes now?! Are you trying to crash into another pole?"

"N-no!! It's because- it's interesting... can you just... continue to explain?"

"Tch such a nerd, anyway, today is a shortboards' contest, which means that the boards used allow you to do manoeuvre more easily than longboards, and here you get more points if you manage well the speed, the fluidity of movements... the type of manoeuvres and the progression"

I wrote all these new things, and then asked what could be done with the other board.

"The longboard?" I nodded humming "well, on that one, besides the fluidity and the variety of movements, are important your appearance and the use of the whole board, so, if you look hotter you gain more points"

I followed Kacchan to the place where he held his surfboard, it really was as cool as he said!

"Bakubro, com'on! The contest is about to start!" Kirishima said gesturing to hurry up.

On the starting area he started to rub something like wax on his surfboard, and I walked closely to see better what he was doing.

"This is paraffin, it's used to not slip"

Then he stopped and started TAKING OFF HIS SHIRT. I went into panic, I mean can I look?! Should I look??? Maybe just a little peek... yeah.

I turned my head towards him to be faced with a body comparable to a greek god, I think my face was scorching and I immediately turned around, but I already knew it was too late, he saw me.

"Oi nerd, why so flushed? Not even girls get so embarrassed"

"D-did you really have to do that??"

"What, did you think I'd surf with my shirt on?"

"I- it's just- nothing, you're right"

He ruffled my hair a bit "sure thing bud, just don't stare too hard or you'll end up eating me with your eyes"

WHY THE FLIP DID HE SAY THESE KIND OF THINGS, MY WEAK LITTLE HEART COULDN'T BEAR ALL OF THIS.

"The contest's about to start, better if you go to the others, I'll wait your cheering from the cround" After saying that, he turned around and went towards the other surfers, while I was going towards Uraraka, who was settle in a nice spot in the croud of people watching, being either other surfers or girls interested in said surfers.

The contest started soon after, and saying I was amazed was an understatement. They rode the waves in such a cool fashion, I wish I could do that too.

"Oh my god, it's Kacchan's turn!!" Uraraka look at me with a cheeky gaze, and gave me a little elbow. Wait, did I say that out loud? Oh god, what's happening to me...

From the moment he got onto the surfboard I knew I was about to watch something spectacular. He did tricks on those waves that I didn't even know were possible, finishing at the end with a sharp turn on a very big wave, it was so cool!!

I ran to greet him as soon as the race ended, he was still a bit wet when I got there, and I think I still wasn't prepared, 'cause I got even redder than before.

"So, how was I?" He said with a confident smile on his face.

"It was just... AMAZING, AND YOU WERE SO GOOD, AND FAST, AND COOL, CAN YOU TEACH ME HOW TO SURF?!"

"I can think about it, now, don't you want to know the winners?" I nodded, sure he was the winner, and so he was.

[Are you enjoying this story? :) ]