29

'Make eye contact if you really can'

.

The treacherous games of fate they are

The winds were treacherous that night, had it been any other reason she'd have jumped off the plane immediately. Had not it been mafia business or police after her husband, she'd have screamed, and let him know how disappointed she was of the circumstances that had pulled her out of their honeymoon, just as it had started. Barely even.

He could sense her chewing down her nails, absentmindedly, and scratching the seat. She hated it, and he knew it.

"I am going to take care of it," He assured. She knew he would.

She turned her face away. What if the problem was too far gone for him to even handle, his consigliore or whatever the hell he called Hammad never had that kind of urgency to his tone, he was always obedient almost like a dog is to their master, but this time he had demanded him to come to America, begged almost.

"I know you are pissed,"

She sighed. "I just want to say it,"

He sat back almost curious to what she was indicating. "You are a dumb idiot,"

"Is that the best insult you could conjure," He passed almost haughtily, as if they were in middle of a brawl, the first real one since they had gotten married. She didn't smile, just pursed her lips together in a fine line, aligning her face to intimidate him. The plane had started moving slowly, she could feel the vibration and the drag reverberate her.

"You never change do you? You are still so...self centered, I mean do you expect me to clap around while you go and get arrested?"

"I am not getting arrested," He smiled calmly. His indifference to the matter made her furious, how could he be so blind.

"I don't feel good about it, just flee somewhere, get out of here, don't go there, don't go back to LA,"

He chuckled, some kind of feisty fire brewing in him, some anger trying to rage out. "Just flee, and leave you out there at the mercy of the world, flee and leave all I had built to rot, flee and drown all hope, flee and lose you, flee and cower away like a rat? Do you think that low of me that I'd just flee,"

She nodded tiredly as if trying to understand. She couldn't, could never even if she tried hard.

"We can flee together," She held his hand, he shook her away, repulsed by her touch.

"No," 

"Why not? Do you prefer something else?"

"No because I cannot have you on the run, and I don't know why are we even fighting about it, discussing this absurdity, nothing is happening, I have had millions of such incidents and nothing has ever been proven, this time is no different,"

"But..."

"I am not discussing this anymore,"

She looked out the window, hoping for a better tomorrow, but she felt like just like the building miniaturizing so was her hope for a better tomorrow.

The plane landed in the morning, the hues spreading outwards in the stretched skies. After their arguments, she had fallen asleep. There was nothing to discuss, and she was convinced that nothing on earth could change his mind. Nothing. Not even her. He was born with this odd dose of confident, always blinding him, blinding him to see the possible. The police had uncovered his grounds, what was he even expecting? The best citizen of America award for it. With the usual causality of his tone and his constant smile upon looking at her, it sure seemed like it.