Chapter Ten

It's exactly ten past seven when my alarm buzzes a little louder than usual. Jenkins isn't there though, must have already left to help out his dad. I get off the bed and wobble to the bathroom.

Ten minutes later I'm heading down the stairs to get some breakfast ready as I wait for Jenkins. A sweet scent shoots up my nose as soon as I walk into the kitchen. Pancakes!

Who...?

'' Good morning Alya. '' i hear behind me.

'' Regina!'' I exclaim '' Good morning, I didn't know you were working today.''

She's carrying a basket of already done laundry which she sets down when I move in for a hug.

Regina is '' the help'' as my mother states. To me, she's a friend whose life didn't quite turn out the way she hoped. She dropped out of college in her first year because she got pregnant at a party and couldn't remember who the baby daddy was. She was a finance major.

She didn't go back home, she was too afraid of what her parents would do. Probably throw her out and she sure as hell wasn't gonna abort. So she stayed in her apartment and would work at a coffee shop across the street.

Without her parents and baby daddy's support it became harder for her to pay rent and stay healthy enough for her and the baby. Her parents would call her constantly, asking her to come back home no matter what happened but she knew better.

Months later the guilt was killing her from the inside out. Her parents had done everything for her but there she was locking them out of a very important part of her life.

She gathered up courage and went over to her parents. One look at her and they just slammed the door in her face and she's never been there or talked to them ever since.

'' Tomorrow is Danny's birthday and I want to spend the entire day with him.'' she says as she wipes down the counter.

'' What do you have planned?'' I take a seat and fill my plate with pancakes.

'' He really loves watching animals on TV so we're go to the zoo then have a small party at home where I'll give him a puppy.''

While she tells me all this, her face lights up with a beautiful smile it's so obvious she loves him unlike some mothers.

'' I miss the little guy why'd you stop bringing him over.'' I ask after taking my last bite.

'' Your mother made it very clear that this isn't a homeless shelter.'' she says and I can tell that it's left a bitter taste in her mouth.

'' Don't mind her, she's never woken up on the right side of the bed.'' we both let out a simple laugh.

'' By the way, your invited to Danny's party. ''

'' I'll definitely be there.''

I sit at the table for a few more minutes scrolling through my phone when Jenkins finally arrives.

'' You ready to go?'' he hollers from the entrance.

'' Yah, pancakes?''

'' Yes please.'' he sets a book down then forks a pancake.

'' You've been reading?'' I raise my eyebrows questionably at him.

'' Thought I'd try out something new.'' he shrugs.

'' Okay!, so it's a bet?''

'' Exactly!'' he replies hastily ''Now can you let me eat my pancakes.''

I sit back in silence watching the time go by...we're so gonna be late for school.