Chapter Twelve

I continue to stare even after he walks away completely forgetting that I'm in the middle of something.

" Alya, you okay?" Asks Zeke stepping in front of me and cutting off my line of sight.

" Yeah, I'm good." I say and take a step back because he's a little too close for comfort. Realising this as well he takes a step back too.

" Do you think it's possible for you to forgive me and just let us start fresh?" He shrugs with an unsure smile.

It takes me a while to answer and I can see how it makes him nervous. I weigh my options and it wouldn't hurt to let us start over. He's sorry and I truly believe him.

" Yeah, starting fresh sounds good." I smile and I see him relax before smiling back. Though I might still get some doubts, I choose to take the risk and start fresh.

" I'm guessing we're not ready for hugs yet." He says and I nod in agreement. " So how about I buy you ice cream? " he says with his all famous blinding smile.

" Let's go!" I happily turn and head into the cafeteria with him right behind me. For a second or two, all eyes are on us including Aidan and Jenkins who seem a little surprised...mostly Jenkins.

I hate when this happens, like who said when someone walks into a room you've gotta look at them!?...Like damn just keep eating your food!

Fortunately, there's no line so we just walk over to the counter where as promised he pays for my double scoop ice cream. Once again the beauties of valedictorian week...ice cream dessert, if only it were free.

We walk over to the table of Jenkins and Aidan both taking seats besides our other. Jenkins is still tense around Zeke so I offer him some of my ice cream to distract him. Always a sucker for ice cream.

" So everything good now?" Asks Aidan with slightly raised eyebrows and a hopeful smile.

Zeke and I look at each other for a second then respond in unison. "Yeah."

I brush off the last of my doubts and enjoy my ice cream with Jenkins whom I let have one last taste before eating the rest myself. He was not happy about that!

The end of lunch bell goes off and we are off to our next classes. Jenkins and I both have Biology next. We're at our lockers getting our books when I spot him again. Nate. He's walking through the halls with the principal again. He doesn't notice me so I take that as the green light to continue staring.

" Get to your classes immediately. " Mr. Lockwood, the principal says to the few students still in the hallway. He and Nate then continue on there way, probably to his office.

Why is he here? Is he doing business with the school? But what kind of business? You know what, none of my business. I shrug off my curiosity and and my sketch book from my locker as well even though I won't have art today. Biology is always boring so I'll need something to pass the time.

" Why do you think he's here?" I ask Jenkins, having noticed that he'd seen him as well. I shut my locker and we get on our way to class.

" He was probably valedictorian of his  year." He shrugs just as we walk into the rowdy class.

The teacher is not yet in so everyone is pretty much doing their own thing.  We head to our seats, nearly at the back of the class and Jenkins barely dodges a football that had been thrown across the class.

" The ceremony isn't until Friday, so why show up today." We take our seats opposite each other. Past valedictorians always attend the ceremony. The school uses it as a way to squeeze money out of them