Chapter Three

'' Did you come with someone?'' asks the stranger as I pull out of his embrace.

'' Yes, '' i reply wiping away some of the tears that were still welling down my cheeks. '' I-I'll call him. '' i say as I search myself for my phone and my purse.

They're not on me, they must have fallen as I  was running from Zeke. I try to look around but it's hard to see in the dark and the teary eyes don't help much either. The stranger notices my lack of a phone and offers to call Jenkins on his but unfortunately I don't know his number in my head. I only know mine so I give it to him and he calls my phone.

He walks around the area trying to listen for the ringtone which wasn't easy with the loud music that was playing. Luckily, he spots my phone flashing some where on the ground. I immediately call Jenkins but it takes a while before he picks up.

'' I'm at the back of the house, please come get me.'' I sob into the phone loud enough for him to hear over the music.

A few minutes later, he comes through the back door his hair no longer in a ponytail. He looks around and finally spots me held in the stranger's arms. He walks up to me and I quickly ran into his arms hugging him tight.

'' What happened?'' he asks, his voice filled with concern.

'' Please just take me home. '' i sob into his ear as I hug him even tighter. He pulls out of the hug to look at me. Fresh tears are flowing down my cheeks. '' Zeke.....h-h-he tried to...'' before i can complete the sentence, he's already pulled me back into his arms and I feel his body shake slightly with what I assumed was rage.

I continue to sob into his chest as his hands around me assuring me of protection. Wish i wouldn't need a guy to feel protected but what you gonna do when the world is as it is!

He leads me through the throng once more but this time he me cradled in his arms as I have my face buried in his chest.

'' What's wrong?'' i hear Hayley ask when Jenkins comes to a stop.

'' Get out of the way. ''he growls and pushes past her. He places me in the back seats before getting in himself and starting the car.

By the time we get home, my parents are already there but fortunately and unfortunately, they're in bed. Jenkins carries me up room, moving quietly through the halls not to wake my parents.

He gently places me onto my bed before rushing out. I curl up myself, hugging my pillow tight and quietly sob as flashes of tonight's nightmare run through my mind. Tears, tears and more tears. That was the scariest moment of my life because I didn't have control over what was happening.

Trying to scream when you know no one can hear you when there is a hand to your mouth. Trying to move your hands so you can push your attacker off but instead feel his knees pin them more to the ground. I shouldn't have let that kiss go on for that long. I should have pulled away once I felt the unease in my guts but instead I fed his fire, I helped it grow.

'' Take this. '' says Jenkins as he offers me a cup of green tea and joining me on the bed.

I let go of the pillow and slightly sit up take, the cup in my hands and take a few sips. I hand him back the cup and once again curl up. He places it on the nightstand and curls around me, his arms wrapping me as tears soak my pillow. With his one hand, he rubs calming circles on my arm.

'' What happened?'' he asks lightly against my hair.

I narrate the gruesome story and feel a knife stab me in the chest with every word. He silently listens as I explain how I went out back to find Zeke to when he had me pinned on the ground ready to have his way with me before I  was saved by someone I couldn't recognize. As I talk, i start to feel a little drowsy, my eyes suddenly to heavy for me to keep open. I try to go on, saying whatever comes to mind hoping it makes sense.

'' Sleep, just sleep. '' coos Jenkins as he gets off the bed, removes my shoes before joining me again and draping us with a blanket. " It wasn't your fault, just remember that." He kisses my forehead.

Finally, I give in to the pull and shut my eyes, too tired to protest but just before I shut out the world, one thing pops into my mind.

Who was he?

***

The next morning I wake up, my thoughts a little hazy but their is no doubt in my mind that that was the best sleep i had had in years. No dreams, no nightmares just my body letting go of all it's tension. I sit up rub my eyes a little and notice Jenkins isn't next to me. Maybe he left after I'd fallen asleep.

I get off my bed plod to the bathroom before ripping off last night's dress. I hope in the shower letting the hot water untie my knots. The images of last night fight hard to make their way back in to my mind but I don't let them.

Last night was bad. It was scary. I would never wish something like that upon someone but what I had to keep in mind was that nothing happened.

Nothing.

He tried. He tried to have me but he failed. I had a guardian angel and he did a hell of a job ensuring that nothing happened.

Done with the shower, I hop out dry myself up real quick before changing into some sweatpants and one of the many shirts Jenkins has abandoned in my room. My mouth hangs open when i pick up my phone from the dresser and find lots and lots of missed calls and texts from Hayley.

She must have been worried because of the way I left her party, tears and all. I go through some of the texts.

Hayley:  What happened?

Hayley:   Are you okay?

Hayley:   Why did you leave like that?

Hayley:  Call me, I'm worried.

Hayley:   I can't find Zeke anywhere, did something happen between you two.

Hayley:   Al.....

Hayley:  Okay, maybe you need space....but call me...please.

Hayley:  Love you.💞

As I cruised through them, my eye caught one that wasn't from her.

Unknown number :  Are you okay?

It didn't take long for me to know you had sent that text. It was the stranger.

Me:  Yeah, I am......I didn't get a chance to thank you yesterday but I hope you know I'm truly grateful.

I placed down the phone to make my bed but it quickly vibrates. He's replied.

Unknown number : No thanks necessary, the guy was a douche :-)

I  couldn't contain the smile that had started to grow on my face as I sat on the edge of my bed.

Me: Who are you?

Unknown number:  Nate Fryxell.

Me :  Well, Nate thank you again.

Me:    I'm Alya Reed.

Unknown number : I know.