12 : 𝖮𝗅𝖾𝖺𝗇𝖽𝖾𝗋 𝖨𝗇𝖼𝗂𝖽𝖾𝗇𝗍

[⛈️]

The Royal Palace had only intended to give the chosen ladies four tasks to prove their worth for the throne. A few nights after Prince Soobin and Y/N's private talk, the final round was set to take place.

The dining room carried an anxious mood. The Emperor, the Empress, Princes Soobin and Yujeong, and the last five ladies all sat in silence. One could tell that the girls were nervous, even Y/N felt wary.

"It is your last chance to show us what you've got," Emperor Dantae blurted. "Each of you will be summoned inside my son's room to answer questions from him. He will then deliver us his pitch, and from that, the High Court shall decide."

Y/N glanced at Prince Soobin. He was coincidentally staring at her as well. Prince Yujeong waved from his side and gestured Y/N to do good with two thumbs up.

Emperor Dantae sighed. "Next week, the chosen bride shall be revealed. At night, we will hold a grand celebration before she takes over the throne."

"Only five of you are left, ladies. One can take the crown." Empress Maeji smiled. "I wish you all the best."

"Thank you, Your Majesty." Seona croaked. "My, my, I must say, my heart is pounding out of my chest. Prince Soobin, I hope I don't pass out in front of you later."

"I hope so too." Prince Soobin grimaced.

"Lady Kyongeun," Prince Yujeong called. "Are you alright?"

Everyone turned to the other girl who was frozen on her seat. She had a hand over her abdomen and the other was holding a teacup. She was trembling, more likely close to mild seizure. Jungyeon, who was the closest, felt for her neck.

"She's ice-cold," Jungyeon gasped. "Lady Kyongeun! Lady Kyongeun!"

But she wasn't responding. Her grip on her body tightened. Y/N stood up to aid the girl but before she could touch her, Kyongeun has already fainted, falling sideways off her chair and into the floor.

"Oh, heavens!" Empress Maeji screeched.

"Take her to the doctor," Prince Soobin ordered. "Quick!"

A couple of servants hoisted the poor lady up, rushing her out of the scene in an intant. A brief commotion exploded like a bubble. Emperor Dantae rubbed his forehead in disbelief. Seona and Nayoung whispered to each other intriguingly. Prince Yujeong was too shocked to eat, so was his older brother. Y/N looked at Kyongeun's spilled drink on the carpet and stooped down.

Something was odd. Her tea seemed more viscous and tinted. She drawed a finger, touched the liquid, and sniffed.

"Lady Y/N," Prince Soobin chirped. "What's wrong?"

"Oleander," Y/N muttered. "There's oleander in Lady Kyongeun's tea."

Prince Yujeong frowned. "What's that?"

"It's a poisonous plant." Prince Soobin breathed. "A little amount could greatly affect a person if ingested."

"Strange." Y/N picked up a small piece of the flower's petal swimming on the puddle. "I don't recall seeing such plant in the gardens."