I. ᴛʜᴇ ꜰɪʀꜱᴛ ʟᴇᴛᴛᴇʀ

the first letter

( .˳⁺⁎˚ ꒰ఎ ♡ ໒꒱ ˚⁎⁺˳ . )

A small white letter fluttered out of my locker. I stare at it for a while as it lay on the cold floor. I looked around, deciding to pick it up since no one else was around. It was the evening so I assumed most people were in their dorms getting ready for dinner hall.

My fingers glossed over the pristine white letter before I carefully ripped the seal. My eyes widened as I opened the folded note.

Dear my lovely angel:

Every time I'm around you I feel things I've never felt before. My heart starts beating and my stomach feels funny. I've tried to conceal my feelings, but if I do any longer I'm afraid my heart might explode. I'm too scared to approach you in person, which is why I'll stay secret for the time being.

Lots of love,
Your secret admirer <3

I re read the letter, feeling as if my eyes were deceiving me. A small smile crept upon my face, trying to contain my excitement. A thousand thoughts rushed through my head. I wasn't even sure that the letter was real. I'm not a very social person like my friends, most people in the my grade don't even know my name, and if they do it's from Cassie screaming it through the halls.

I shook my head, trying to rid my thoughts as I closed my locker, skipping off to the dorms.

I collapsed on my bed, pondering over who the letter could be from. A loud noise coming from the front of my dorm pulled me out of my head. I looked at the door without moving for a while before the knocking returned.

"Who is it?" I called, too lazy to move from my current position.

"Cassie."

I groaned, pulling myself up and walking over to my mirror placed on my desk. I fixed my hair a bit before swinging the door open, putting on a façade and smiling at my beautiful blonde friend. She brushed past me and made herself comfortable on my bed. I rolled my eyes, closing the door behind her, knowing exactly where this was going.

"I had such a stressful day." She complains.

I tilt my head, signalling for her to keep going. She covers her face in her hands as she lays on the edge of my bed.
"My boyfriend's mad at me because he saw that Connor posted a selfie of us on his story."

"Like your ex-boyfriend Connor?" I ask.

She rolls her eyes, "duh bitch, who else?"

I nod, expecting this kind of response.

"Well, now he won't go with me to the party tonight."

I mentally cry, closing my eyes as I prepare myself for the next few moments.

"Can you come with me Y/n?" She pleads, getting up from her horizontal position.

I sigh, "Cassie I can't, I have studies and it's-"

"Aren't you supposed to be my friend? We never spend time together and I'm asking you to do a simple little favour for me and you won't even do it?" She interrupts, raising her voice.

I pinch the bridge of my nose, knowing there's no end to arguing, having been in this situation one too many times.
"Ok Cassie. I'll go with you." I sigh, my tone laced with annoyance.

She beams, standing up and embracing my hands in hers.
"Thank you so much Y/n! I knew you'd come around. You always do." And with those lasts words she leaves.

I tussle my hair, mad at myself for giving in so easily.

Even though I have every right, I find it hard to completely hate Cassie. After all she was one of my first close friends at this school. She even included me into her friend group when I had no one, despite all our numerous differences.

I shake my head, trying to rid my thoughts of the party. I pull out my phone, scrolling through tiktok for a while before a message popped up.

kaito : you comin tonight?

I sighed, not wanting to resurface the thought.

me : yeah ig.

kaito : 🙂 im glad, i never see you at parties anymore

me : yea I dont rly like them

kaito : aww, why not?

me : idk, i just never know anyone

kaito : well you know me, and ill be there. we can hang out :)

I roll my eyes. "I doubt that," I say out loud before typing a response.

me : cool c u there.

kaito : c u 🤭

I throw my phone at the feet of my bed before screaming into my pillow. I've never enjoyed parties. I always end up either vomiting or standing alone in a corner. And despite not being alone, I always feel so lonely.
.
.
.
My small black pumps clack against the rough gravel roads as we walk to the party. A cold shiver runs through my body as I wrap my arms around myself, cursing that I didn't bring anything to cover up my unusually short dress.

"Who's party is this again?" I ask Cassie, trying to break the silence.

"I don't know, all I know is everyone is going to be there."

I let out a small "ah," before silence engulfs us once again.

After a few minutes, a loud squeak from Cassie causes me to flinch. I look back at her to see her quickly waddling away. I try to keep up, looking ahead to see a large house filled with kids, flashing lights and loud music.

"I feel bad for their neighbours," I mummer, getting a small laugh out of Cassie as she links her arm through mine.

We walk into the party together, but we quickly depart after she sees a few of her friends. I watch her fleeting body, looking around the party before my eyes land on the food table. Scooping the punch, I pour it into a small red cup before making my way to a corner. As I let my eyes wonder around the party, they meet a familiar brunette boy. He smiles at me, waving as he starts to walk over. I straighten my poster, but quickly relaxed it after he gets washed away from the numerous people around him.

I sigh, taking a sip out of my cup as I sink further into the corner, whipping out my phone in attempts to make the night go quicker.

"Every single time."