Third Funeral

The two of them sat down on the couch in Bud's room. Staring at each other in comfortable silence until Jason piped up. "So uh- why are you staying here? You comin from outta town or what?" The tall brunette asked. Veronica shrugged her shoulders. "My grandfather's funeral. Stayed here instead of my parents' house because my mother can be a little much when these kinda things happen. I know that makes me seem like the asshole in the situation, but I needed a little privacy. How about you? I don't think you ever told me why you were here."

"Lookin for something new. Small town sounded like the best start."

"No family? Friends? Anywhere to stay?" She asked, leaning forward in her seat. She was genuinely concerned for this man she'd just met and didn't know why. She felt an odd connection to him. "Well, my dad was the last family I had and he passed a few years ago. Work accident, you don't wanna hear about it I promise." He gave her a sad smile along with his surprisingly dreary response. She was at least hoping for a 'yeah I've got a cousin 20 minutes away'.

Jason missed his dad sometimes. After his "death" he was only able to keep up with his father through hitchhiking and word around about him. He passed in '97 due to complications with a bulldozer and it was rough to realize he wasn't sad about the passing of his only living relative, but the loss at the opportunity to patch things up. The fantasy he'd chased for 8 years that he could come out of hiding and hug his dad and his dad would say he MISSED him. Bud Dean was a cruel sadistic man child who deserved what he got and Jason hated to admit it but it was the truth.

The two stared for a moment. Veronica at Bud and Bud at the floor. "I'm sorry for your loss.." Veronica piped up. Bud shot his eyes at her, tears threatening to leak from his tear ducts. "Sorry for my loss? You just lost your grandfather. I lost my dad years ago, I'll cope. He set an arm around her shoulder, the boldest move he'll ever make. She leaned into his side and smiled. "I'm sorry I don't have a place or I'd invite you to stay."

Veronica thought about that statement for a minute. Technically she did. Other than coming back in town for the holidays, she could ask to stay with Martha and get Bud to stay there. It was a leap in loyalty and faith in a stranger but she'd feel awful if she left him alone in a hotel with no one especially around the holidays. "Something wrong?" Bud piped up, noticing her face deep in thought until she looked back up at him. "You could stay with me and my friend."

Jason's heart pounded. "I'd love to."

A/N

       I'M SO SORRY FOR THE LATE UPDATE- ALSO HAPPY NEW YEARS >:0
also go follow my art insta @/almondtit

       I'M SO SORRY FOR THE LATE UPDATE- ALSO HAPPY NEW YEARS >:0also go follow my art insta @/almondtit